So, You think you own your land...

/ So, You think you own your land... #102  
Caver, that is interesting. What part of the taxes is the mineral rights owner responsible for. Is the tax separate or a percentage of the surface taxation. Is this state tax or local tax?

Don

I can answer this question from direct experience. My answer applies to Brazos County only. A mineral interest is taxed by the county and only when it is productive i.e. a mineral lease is in existence. It is a separate item on the tax bill

In the case of our property the mineral interest was severed from the surface in the will of my maternal Grandmother. So the surface can be sold independently of the mineral rights. I in fact most of my relatives have sold off their share of the surface but still hold their mineral rights. They are billed by the county for that although they are absentee owners.

I have not been following this thread so will not comment on the rest of it.

Vernon

Last edited:
   / So, You think you own your land... #103  
I've read most of the posts on this topic, and I'd like to point out what I think is a big part of the problem. The current governor of Texas is in the pocket of the big oil and exploration companies. He spends more time worrying over his hairdo than he does worrying about individuals' ownership rights. As long as he is in that position we will have RCC members who are heyboys to the oil industry.
Butch

/ So, You think you own your land...
We're treading into a political discussion when we single out any one person or office. This policy has been in place since who laid the rock, and it is up to the citizens to change it if it is not serving us properly.

/ So, You think you own your land... #105  
I've read most of the posts on this topic, and I'd like to point out what I think is a big part of the problem. The current governor of Texas is in the pocket of the big oil and exploration companies. He spends more time worrying over his hairdo than he does worrying about individuals' ownership rights. As long as he is in that position we will have RCC members who are heyboys to the oil industry.
Butch

The rules and regulations concerning mineral estates and surface estates have been in place for many, many years and may actually be in part in the Texas constitution. Your comment is specious.

Vernon

/ So, You think you own your land... #106  
So, then, the RCC are not rubber-stamp automatons waiting for the governor to take a step before they say anything?
Butch

/ So, You think you own your land... #107  
So, then, the RCC are not rubber-stamp automatons waiting for the governor to take a step before they say anything?
Butch

Since the Railroad Commissioners are elected I guess that we only have ourselves to blame.

Vernon

/ So, You think you own your land... #108  
JazzDad,

No blackchopper accusations yet!!! In fact, I've been very surprised, as have the neighbors fighting this with me, that something like that hasn't happened! I say that, especially since our attorney styled this case with our group's name AND then, in addition, my name personally too, as the plaintiffs. In fact, at the Railroad Commission every piece of evidence and every photograph we presented into evidence was labeled with my last name and then numbered #1 through whatever.

Regarding the attorney, I feel as though I engaged the BEST attorney in the State of Texas to represent us in a matter of this type. His name is David Frederick of Lowerre and Frederick in Austin, Texas. Keep in mind that an attorney is needed when you go before the Railroad Commission to protest ANYTHING oil and gas, if only to keep track of the appeal points when you lose before the RRC. I say that, just like that, because The RRC is as biased a Commission, in favor of oil and gas in this case, as I've ever seen. Any protest system they have in place is only there to make the public falsley feel as though they have a say in anything and to make the public feel warm and fuzzy. Again, in our case, we PROVED the applicant lied to the RRC on their application about VERY DANGEROUS aspects that could have cost us all out here everything we have and our health too! They then committed perjury and submitted false evidence to back themselves up, but it meant NOTHING to the RRC. Heck, their rep even admitted that to me and I testified to it in our second hearing, with no rebuttal of any kind from them, but it meant nothing!

In reality, the public has no say, no influence on any decision made by the RRC and all decisions made by the RRC are made in favor of oil and gas! In fact, our newspaper editor called the RRC when our case was still young and was told that oil and gas companies always get permitted when they apply for an injection well, public protests or not.

You and I disagree about "small groups" though. I've done those guest speaking engagements in a lot of Texas counties where people are just now getting hit with the drilling operations and these injection wells. As a result of being educated from those listening at those speaking engagements, those people and those large groups of people are standing up and saying "No More"!!! They're writing to their state reps and demanding change! They're hearing that they can fight oil and gas, and how to do it! They are reading now about the candidates and asking how they stand on oil and gas issues and looking into how much money of a candidate's re-election campaign is coming from oil and gas. They're making such a big noise that newspapers are carrying story upon story of unjust practices of The RRC. TV News Shows are doing many more stories about all aspects of oil and gas drilling and the extreme dangers of various things about it, ESPECIALLY their ( oil and gas) unregulated water usage and these injection wells poisoning water supplies and the health hazzards! No, the average Texas citizen is making a difference, but we do need MANY MORE people on board and to care. So far it's mostly rural citizens because that's where this stuff is taking place.

Our case is presently in The Third Court of Appeals and we believe we will win this appeal and set new, good, law, for ALL Texas citizens! It comes up for oral arguments soon and our attorneys have already submitted some brilliant briefs!!

Uncle Buck somebody activated this two year old thread so I am wondering what happened to your court case?

/ So, You think you own your land... #109  
Uncle Buck somebody activated this two year old thread so I am wondering what happened to your court case?

Yeah, I'd also like to know. I didn't see the style of the case actually listed or I'd look it up.