Socket Organizers

/ Socket Organizers #21  
So, what do you guys like, that keeps sockets organized, and where you can quickly grab a strip of say, 3/8" metrics from the shed to the work area,

Tekton makes an organizer for 3/8 sockets that holds the sockets with a quarter turn that impressed me. The SAE holds 15 sizes from 1/4” to 1” , one row of standard and 1 row of deep; the metric is similar with 19, 6mm to 24mm. Each holder is about 4” wide x 20” long, fine on the workshop wall, but too large to carry to the worksite. Also a typical job usually requires only a few sizes. When I get a round tuit, I will weld a half-dozen steel pegs to a metal tote tray to carry those sockets I need for a particular job.

My pass-thru ratchet set came with an over-sized, molded plastic display rack with illegibly marked round pegs that did not hold the sockets securely. I bought a 1-1/2” x 4-1/2” x 10-1/2” steel case on Amazon, welded pegs in 2 rows, color coded the pegs and marked the sizes legibly. When the lid of the case is latched, the sockets are secure. Photos below.

Attachments

• ToolCaseExt.jpg
    ToolCaseExt.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 55
  • ToolCaseInt.jpg
    ToolCaseInt.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 64
   / Socket Organizers #22  
I trimmed the molded case my socket set arrived in to fit my rollaway toolbox.

Works great and have done similar with other tools in molded plastic cases...

/ Socket Organizers #23  
I trimmed the molded case my socket set arrived in to fit my rollaway toolbox.

Works great and have done similar with other tools in molded plastic cases...
I bought socket sets in plastic carry cases. These totes fit opened up in my tool box and if needed I can grab the box and take it with me. Best ones I bought are black with white lettering marking the size on them.

/ Socket Organizers #24  
I used to toss the cases because the plastic hinge would break in no time...

Now I repurpose kind of...

/ Socket Organizers #26  
My better quality tool plastic cases--Milwaukee, Fein, Jonesway--have pin-type hinges. Pittsburgh (Harbor Freight) et al have flat plastic hinges that tear when flexed.

Besides the hinges, blow-moulded plastic cases have other disadvantages. They are formed for the specific tool and may not be adaptable for other tools; they are excedingly wasteful of space. Note that Ultrarunner trims his and likely uses them only as trays in his tool chest.

I decry the passing of the 20th century all-steel tool cases and have re-purposed Milwaukee, Makita, and Bosch steel cases for different tools.

Last edited:
   / Socket Organizers #27  
I bought the same set you have in the first post and they weren't broken when I got them, been using them with good results for a couple years, if close I would just exchange them... maybe open first before leaving the store... I'm pretty sure I like that style better than their other plastic version with the size labeled on the posts

/ Socket Organizers #28  
I have a fairly large Snap On Box at my shop, The top dray ( largest one in the chest ) is where the sockets and torque wrenches live. For the sockets, I have been using the organisers from Home depot, Red for standard size, blue for metric. They have worked well. The 3/8'' are in the ones with the plugs, The 1/2'' are on magnetic holders that are also colour coded.

/ Socket Organizers #29  
I sure miss the old metal socket sets. They fit anywhere and can hold a few extras.

Attachments

• tool box.jpg
    tool box.jpg
    367.9 KB · Views: 28
  • toolbox.jpg
    toolbox.jpg
    439.5 KB · Views: 30