soft shackle users?

/ soft shackle users? #1  

ArlyA

Houghton MI (the Lake Superior snow belt) USA
Tractor
Polaris Boss 6x6 with pods (tracks) Center actuating lawn mower by Husky
Who here uses soft shackles on there atv/utv? if so, please do a review of them for that application. I'm going to get some for our 6x6.
1690375265896.png

/ soft shackle users? #3  
I use them extensively on a big boat for anchoring, and on the farm for lifting and general use. They are outstanding in all ways. Soft so they don't mar anything, and incredibly strong. And flexible to you can get them around almost anything. I just used 5/16" line soft shackles to lift pre-assembled solar panel racks up onto poles. Each assembled rack was probably close to 1000 lbs. Before doing the lift, I tested a single soft shackle by lifting a 1000 lbs mulcher head and letting is hang for a while. Rated tensile strength for 5/16 Dyneema is 13,000 lbs. That's 50% more than the same size wire rope.

/ soft shackle users? #5  
Lighter. If they break, you don't have a metal shackle flying back at you.

/ soft shackle users? #6  
I don't worry about the 'paint' being scratched on my tractor drawbar as it has little to no paint on it anyway and as far as a shackle breaking, no worry either as the ones I use are rated for well in the excess of anything I require. I use 'made in USA' Crosby threaded pin shackles.

Maybe a fabric snatch rope, but a fabric shackle, no way.

/ soft shackle users? #7  
Maybe a fabric snatch rope, but a fabric shackle, no way.
I'm curious why? Is it concern over the strength? I admit that it takes some getting used how strong they are. Just looking that them you would think "no way". But they are generally SIGNIFICANTLY STRONGER that similarly sized chain or steel shackles. Just by way of example, 1/2" G43 chain is rated for 4.5MT, and a 1/2" Crosby shackle is rated for 3.3MT. On the other hand, a 1/2" soft shackle has a breaking strength of 20MT. Their strength is very deceptive, and I think is why people are slow to embrace them.

/ soft shackle users? #8  
BTW, this is the same stuff used for the lines on tub boats with 100 Ton or more bollard pull.

/ soft shackle users? #9  
Ignore 5030, like usual no idea what the hell he is talking about.

They are used heavily in the off-road recovery world, they are significantly safer when using kinetic ropes, and lighter.

the only downside is abrasion if they get rubbed while being used, obviously they will wear quicker then a metal shackle.

/ soft shackle users? #10  
Ignore 5030, like usual no idea what the hell he is talking about.

They are used heavily in the off-road recovery world, they are significantly safer when using kinetic ropes, and lighter.

the only downside is abrasion if they get rubbed while being used, obviously they will wear quicker then a metal shackle.
Least I don't own a tractor designed and produced in India.... :rolleyes:

No 'wannabe' toy tractors here either....

I know what I'm commenting about, why I use only Crosby shackles when I need them. Something about that stamped 'Made in USA' that I like.