Soil prep tools for new construction lawns?

/ Soil prep tools for new construction lawns? #21  
<font color="red"> Look for a GEAR DRIVE TILLER </font>

/ Soil prep tools for new construction lawns? #22  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( We use a TR3 rake from Absolute Innovations. You can look it up on the web. We pull it with a CK20 (3.5' model) and it is the perfect size for the tractor. About 1/3 the cost of a Harley Rake. )</font>

About how much is that? The web page has no pricing info.

/ Soil prep tools for new construction lawns?
I was quoted $3300 bucks with a 10 percent discout if I ordered last friday. That included a hydrolic toplink which makes life much easier so I hear. It really looks like a great tool! Maybe if I get some lawn installs lined up I will take the plunge.

/ Soil prep tools for new construction lawns? #24  
I'll second that motion by Egon.

1) Box bade to rip and loosen that heavy clay, 2) pick out the trash and stones, 3) loader to spread some compost, if you have clay you need organic matter, 4) another round with the rippers, 5) pick out the trash and stones, 6) tiller to pulverise and mix in the compost, 7) rake for getting out the small stones and trash and giving you a seed bed.

/ Soil prep tools for new construction lawns? #25  
I found an older harley rake for $1000 locally.

Can anyone explain to me exactly how they work?

/ Soil prep tools for new construction lawns? #26  
Lots of good posts here already. I would add though, that you shouldn't rule out a skidsteer of a tracked loader. If I was looking to do something like you descibe, I would look at something like an ASVi RC30, or a small skidsteer. They have the implements to do this, and they are faster to change out on the job.

I like my CUT, but have found yards where I just couldn't manuever my tractor. But, I could easily move around with a small skidsteer, or tracked loader(I REALLY like the ASVi RC30 )

Great replys fellas.

RobertN

I love the looks of that ASV RC30. I have checked into them quite a bit, and they look like the ultimate small landscapeing tool. One problem I had with them was the fact that it does not have enough loader elevation to get into my dump truck. The price without implements was pretty high in relation to a small cut that would do the same tasks, although maybe not quite as well. The step up to the RC50 is huge in size and in price. It has all kinds of lift height and power, but not quite right for me at present. I now have the ck20 and will keep it until I find a nitche where I can be sure what tool would be best. I think it will make the ideal swiss army knife that can do everything, although not be great at any one thing. I am going to keep my eyes peeled for a used harley or TR3 rake. I think both would be outstanding tools.

Thanks for the suggestions and I will gladly hear any others.
Jay

/ Soil prep tools for new construction lawns? #28  
I had to load a dump truck with a RC30 I had rented. I had to make a small ramp. Once I was done, I graded out the ramp. My Kubota is about the same size as your tractor; I'm not sure if I would have reached well in to the dump truck; I have a 6' lift.

On one job, there is no way I could have manuevered my Kubota like the RC30(Nothing against my Kubota, it was just really tight quarters). And, as a loader, it out performed my tractor(expected with a skid steer/ all terrain loader).

Try renting one; you would like it /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

In regards to price, what I noticed was not so much the price of the tractor, but the price of the "skidsteer" type implements, especially when they were hydraulic run.

Robert

This loader reach height was a bid deciding factor for me getting the ck20 over a Kubota. In anything shy of an L series the lift height is not good. The B3030 is the best at I believe 84" with the 403 loader. This is really a bit to low for me, and at 17500 for the tractor and loader a pretty pricey beast. I would have went with the L3400 instead.

The ck20 lifts 88" to max height. This barely gets over my siderails with enough clearance to dump "ok" Without sides it goes in very easy.

I think the RC30 is around an 80" lift height with very little forward reach. Boy it looks manuverable and easy on the ground. I did fear the price of implements as well, although rental of certain items may be more readily available, although with the small size of unit rental companies may not stock the smaller implements to fit it properly.

I got a tractor, loader, backhoe, hd box blade, bush hog, tiller, and toothbar for $18,500 delivered. I would have had to kick in another 4 to 5 grand to get the RC30 with loader locally. A swell machine I am sure, but hard to justify, and likely not my favorite for bush hogging. Would make a great second machine I am sure you would agree! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Jay

/ Soil prep tools for new construction lawns? #30  
I just bought a tr3 7.5' in Nov. Partner got a 3.5' for our 4100's.
used it on gravel drive & worked well. also on a dirt lane and just took a while to get used to.
I have rarely used a box blade and also rarely use a tiller.

the contractors around here do finish grading with a dozer. or a big skid loader. but just with a bucket. they dont do to well getting water away from house.
that in my opinion if not a real good finish grade.
before my combo plane on 90xt I used a ripper on back of tractor.
up untill last fall we pulled into a lawn with the 90xt, combo plane, a 4110, pulverizer & a brillion. depending on the size may have took a fert spreader.
this year will be trying the tr3.
I like the harley but when you think about building a house how much do they drive heavy equipment on the lawn. cement trucks, dump trucks, & delivery vehicles plus a extenda forklift.
compaction, compaction, compaction.
you have to go deeper than the top 3 inches to get good root growth.
I would grade with the combo plain & when done grading would drop the scarifier teeth 4-6" in the ground.
all the while I am running the comboplane, partner is running the 4100 around with pulverizer on it or working around house or small items.
we could do (actually did) a 20,000 sq ft lawn in 5 hrs, that is grading & seeding. this may seem like alot but this was the 2nd go around for this homeowner as the first guy did not do so well. we had to pull of all the old dead weeds & grass also. we timed this one and it was the last one we did for the year.
I just cant see a box blade or tiller working & having tryed them I have found better items to use.
If we take a bigger tractor,we will take along a 8' field cultivator also to use.
In my opinion a tiller is for tilling gardens although it does work well or much better to break stuff up after the field cult is run over everything.
I do not no if what we do is perfect but it does work for us & we get down in the ground. that is why a farmer deep rips his ground.
this is long enough now so make your replys and I will see what I can add.