Solar Batter Tenders

/ Solar Batter Tenders
for what its worth the level of light that you see in the picture is 100 percent sunlight coming through the skylights, as I don't have any power on the property yet.

/ Solar Batter Tenders #52  
I think that black lead need to go to the battery terminal. If it's after the disconnect it's not gonna charge anything.

/ Solar Batter Tenders
I think that black lead need to go to the battery terminal. If it's after the disconnect it's not gonna charge anything.

HA, you know what, now that I think about it your right. I had it hooked onto the other side, but pulled it off so I could clean the corrosion off and I just cleaned the same spot on both sides, didn't even think about the disconnect. I will have to make sure I plug that in on the correct spot after tomorrow morning.

/ Solar Batter Tenders #54  
It looks like your cable clamps are corroded quite a bit. I would scrub them until clean, and all mating surfaces are bright and shiny.

/ Solar Batter Tenders #55  
Also if that disconnect is on the positive side you have the charger hooked up backwards.

/ Solar Batter Tenders
No, the disconnect is hooked up to the negative side. I pulled the battery and it tested OK, but needs charge as it was only at 50 percent capacity. Ill have to buy a charger, but hopefully adding the disconnect will keep it from getting that low again.

Also, I looked a the lucas oil engine oil conditioner. Says its supposed to help with cold starts, seems like a good product for what I got going on, any advice?

/ Solar Batter Tenders #57  
I would check and clean all battery connection first - a dirty connection can cause a lot of grief.
I would also when finished with the tractor, disconnect the ground after each use. This way it cannot discharge when not in use.
Once these things are looked at you can consider what to do regarding solar power.

/ Solar Batter Tenders #58  
No, the disconnect is hooked up to the negative side. I pulled the battery and it tested OK, but needs charge as it was only at 50 percent capacity. Ill have to buy a charger, but hopefully adding the disconnect will keep it from getting that low again.

Also, I looked a the lucas oil engine oil conditioner. Says its supposed to help with cold starts, seems like a good product for what I got going on, any advice?

For cold starting, if you are close to needing an oil change, just go with any decent 5W40, Rotella T6 for example. Lucas's conventional Oil Conditioner is pretty thick stuff, and their more expensive synthetic version may not "thin down" a 15W40 enough (esp. used oil) to help with a weak battery. My 2 cents.

50% is low, try and bulk (meaning non-solar) charge it as soon as you can.

Rgds, D.

/ Solar Batter Tenders #59  
What kind of shape is that starter in ? Just thinking .

/ Solar Batter Tenders #60  
I have a solar panel very much like the one you are using. Originally, I used it to help keep a charge in a battery for an electric fence (but it couldn't keep up with the drawdown). Now, I'm thinking of hanging the solar panel in the back window of my tractor cab, connected to the battery through a cigarette lighter plug (the stock one is hooked up through the ignition, so I can't use it without some rewiring). Oh, my tractor lives outdoors all the time.
Bob