Solar Electric Project

/ Solar Electric Project
jim_wilson said:
It has been a while since I have on TBN - I have been doing some research here and there to figure out if solar electric is a viable option for me. In the past TBN has always been a good source of info for these types of things so I figured I would start checking thru the posts here. MA has put in place a Solar power incentive program which aims to bring the cost of a solar system down - but from my calculations still not down enough to make it a feasible alternative to being on grid. At least not where I am located.

Does anybody have any links to where I could learn more about solar electric power? The Homepower magazine looks interesting - I will check that out.

Any other recommended reading to do - or companies that supply solar equipment?

BTW - I also ran across the thread where you had the pics of the new tractor Peter - pretty nice.

Hey Jim, good to hear from you.

Check out the Alternative Energy Store Solar Panels, Wind Generators, Solar Home Systems, Energy Efficient Appliances and Residential Panels.

/ Solar Electric Project #22  
Hi Guys interesting thread. Peter, knowing little about using a system such as yours to power a house, can you run a whole house AC unit from a reasonable amount of solar panels? Here in the South AC has become a necessity as we get older.

I had an opportunity to meet a couple that had been living off of solar power for about 10 years and take a tour of their system. It was very interesting and they were very excited to be adding 2 additional panels which allows them to use a full size electric refrigerator for the first time. I think they said the upgrade was costing about 25K.:eek:

MarkV

/ Solar Electric Project #23  
We've had our solar power system running for almost 2 years now.
You can check it out here. Solar Power System
It was built prior to starting the log home so the contractor would have power up there at an isolated build site. It's designed to allow running of all appliances in the home plus a shop, but we still have to watch carefully not to overload the system. So we are selective as to what is turned on and running at the same time.
To get an idea of what it's powering, you can check out this thread 3R Log Home and Barn Project
Our home is recently completed and we had a chance to run all the appliances and AC. So far so good, but as I said, we still need to be selective. I'm sure we will have a learning curve and adjustments to make.
I have yet to wire up the machine shop to see how that will work out.

Like Peter said, going solar off grid makes complete sense when their is no alternative, or if connecting to the grid is an absorbatent amount, as it was in our case. Adding to a home already connected might take years to offset the cost of installation, but worth it nevertheless for reasons stated. Alternatives include specific solar applications such as for the well pump or something like that, where the cost of installation is relatively minor, and there is a trade off on the electric bill.

/ Solar Electric Project #24  
You may want to look at About Us; Zomeworks Passive Solar Products

Steve Baer has had a variety of passive solar products since the mid-'70s - including solar panel sun trackers.

I had SunBenders on two skylights in my old house and they worked great to add heat in the winter and shade the skylights in the summer.

/ Solar Electric Project #26  
Thanks for the reassurance Hayden. I was pretty sure that a 4.5-6kw system would be plenty for very efficient 1700 sq home.
I will not have A.C. but will have a swamp cooler which should be efficient in a high desert climate.

Currently my cabin in this setting is 10-12 degrees cooler than the outside due to insulation and efficient windows. I was told that a swamp cooler will cool it another 20 degrees if the humidity is low. The high temp out there is 95 so I should be very comfortable.

3RRL you have the Utopia of Solar Power Systems from what I have seen. You have a large house and an A.C. unit but others here should't judge what their solar needs are from this example. Everyones needs are different as are our lifestyles.

Backwoods Solar Electric Systems gives different sizing comparisons and it looks like a normal family in a solar designed home should spend about 11,500 -18,500 without rebates. This to me seems very reasonable reguardless of how much it costs to hook up to the grid. The peace of mind of knowing I will always have reliable power and not be hit with blackouts and huge increases every year here in Southern California is well worth the investment. Plus I get a lot of satisfaction out of being totally self sufficient and non reliant.

/ Solar Electric Project #27  
Nice work Hayden! I doubt all the conduit is going to affect 36" diameter concrete piers much, especially if you make a cage of rebar to boot.

Out of curiosity, did you miter the pipe's end that will be embedded in concrete, or provide a couple of pieces of heavy rebar run through a couple of holes in the pipe at right angles? That will insure the pipe can't twist in the concrete once the solar panel is installed and the wind interacts with the sail...err...panel.

/ Solar Electric Project #28  
We will to a tied system to our house in LA end of this year or beginning of next. Payback for my 69 charger that gets 8MPG

Our new house should be solar as well. Still working on those logistics and moneys...

One note is we are following this new technology of holographic solar panels. Lots of buzz in 06 and 07 but it has gone quiet in 08...

Holographic Solar: New Method of Concentrating Sunlight Could Be Cheaper : TreeHugger

/ Solar Electric Project
OK, I'm back working on the solar power upgrade, and not a moment too soon. Another one of my Trojan L16H batteries developed a bad cell, so I had to disconnect one of the two battery banks. A dead cell raises all heck with the surviving cells causing them to overcharge while charging, and causing the good bank to discharge into the bad bank when not charging. The generator running in the middle of the night because the batteries were so low was the tip off that something was wrong.

This is the second of 8 batteries to develop a bad cell in the past 6 months, so they are clearly at the end of their life. I've been running them for 7, almost 8 years, so that's right about in the middle of the expected life for these batteries.

Anyway, back to the new system. I got 90% of the parts a few weeks ago, including the new 6KW 240V/120V inverter, 3.6KW of solar panels, dual charge controllers, and a whole host of breakers, wiring boxes, etc. I'm getting everything from the Alternative Energy Store, which is a great place.

The new batteries, which are 12 Surrette 4-KS-25PS 4 Volt, 1350AH are due to arrive tomorrow. These batteries will be tripple what I have now, and weigh 3700 lbs. I picked these particular batteries so I could have a single bank rather than two or more. It means fewer cells to maintain and water, and more reliable charging than parallel banks. However, their weight (315 lbs each) means they require end-to-end mechanical handling. We'll get to more on that later.

Today I spent building a battery box for these beasts. I had seriously considered buying a few of the metal job site tool chests that you may be familiar with to use as battery boxes, but in the end decided to build one out of wood. An insulated rather than conductive material is a nice safety precaution, and building a box I can keep it as compact as possible. Also, the basement where they will live has a low ceiling (only about 5 1/2'), and there needs to be clearance to lift a battery over the box edge and lower into the box without crashing into the floor joists. The batteries are 25" tall so there isn't a lot of wiggle room, and the job site boxes were a bit taller than I wanted.

The pictures are of the box at various stages of construction. It sure isn't fine cabinetry, but it serves the purpose. I'm polyurathaning the box inside and out to deter rot, and it will sit on 4 2x6 pressure treated skids on top of the crushed stone floor in the basement. This house is 200 yrs old, so the foundation is dry set granite blocks and a dirt floor. I've since mortered the joints in the walls and put down a vapor barrier and stone on the floor.

To get the batteries in and out of the box, I bought an engine hoist from TSC. This particular model has telescoping feet and boom so I can arrange it to reach far enough over the battery box to set the batteries in the second row even though the feet can't extend under the battery box as they would extend under a car. The only trick will be providing sufficient counter weight to lift the 300 lb battery without tipping over, but I think that's solvable. I'll have more on this tomorrow when I try it all out on a real battery in by garage. I want to be sure I can reach all the battery locations in the box before I haul everything down to the basement and try in while stooped over in cramped quarters.

Attachments

• PCH_2008-07-08-0206.JPG
    PCH_2008-07-08-0206.JPG
    84.7 KB · Views: 87
  • PCH_2008-07-08-0207.JPG
    PCH_2008-07-08-0207.JPG
    69.1 KB · Views: 85
  • PCH_2008-07-08-0213.JPG
    PCH_2008-07-08-0213.JPG
    64.2 KB · Views: 92
  • PCH_2008-07-08-0214.JPG
    PCH_2008-07-08-0214.JPG
    67.5 KB · Views: 97
   / Solar Electric Project
The electronics are the new Xantrex XW components. It's a very nicely designed system with parts that integrate together better than anything else I've seen. It's also a split phase 120V/240V system out of the box. Other inverters require you to gang two together to get 240V and require external load sharing transformers, more breakers, more wiring, etc. The XW is a much cleaner design and installation.

Here's a picture of the major components layed out on a table, except the inverter itself is missing. It fits in the space in the upper right. All this will be mounted on a plywood power panel against pressure treated studs bolted to the foundation.

The one major thing I'm still waiting on are the solar panel mounting frames that go on top of the poles. They are due to ship next week, and I'm hoping to have everything else done and ready when the mounts arrive so I can mount the panels and go .

Attachments

• PCH_2008-07-08-0215.JPG
    PCH_2008-07-08-0215.JPG
    67 KB · Views: 180