Solar Fence Charger, Easy Job...Right?????

/ Solar Fence Charger, Easy Job...Right????? #1  

charliebear911

I bought a Zebeba 3 Mi solar fence charger over the weekend and attempted to install it and run one wire for the dogs and the horses low to the ground. I let it charge for about 2 days. I used plastic insulators and 14 gauge wire. I went less than 1000 feet. My ground rod is a four foot peice of rebarb with the proper clamp attachment. I thought I did everything right but it is still not working! When I turn it on it blinks and snaps but when I touch it (quickly), no shock-anywhere along the fence.
The only reasons I can think that it would not be working because of are-
1.about every other post I wrapped the wire around the insulator to make sure it was extra tight.
2.when I was tying the wire together at the gate I didnt tie it a specific way.
3.my ground is too short even thou I live in Georgia
4.the device is broken.
Please help me!

/ Solar Fence Charger, Easy Job...Right????? #2  
It is a pulse type charger the wire is not always hot only when it pulses. Try holding on to the wire longer and then report back.

Adding 1 or more ground rods would help.

Wraping the wires around the insulators should not matter as long as you do not have any shorts.

Low to the ground? Any weeds or grass touching the wire will short it out.

/ Solar Fence Charger, Easy Job...Right????? #3  
It is a pulse type charger the wire is not always hot only when it pulses. Try holding on to the wire longer and then report back.

Adding 1 or more ground rods would help.

Wraping the wires around the insulators should not matter as long as you do not have any shorts.

If the path is short it could be arching across the gap at the insulators were you added extra wire

/ Solar Fence Charger, Easy Job...Right????? #4  
try touching it while in your bare feet, I used to connect wires because I had an awesome pair of work boots that insulated me quite well.
actually don't do it in your bare feet, you may be very sorry.

/ Solar Fence Charger, Easy Job...Right?????
I touched it multiple times while it flashed-should have gotten hit at least once. I will try with my shoes off. But then again my dogs are rubbing up against it and they arnt yapping. The fence on the dog side is about a foot off the ground and on the horse side is half way up. No weeds or interference.

So Tom do you think wrapping the wire might have been a bad idea?

/ Solar Fence Charger, Easy Job...Right????? #7  
So Tom do you think wrapping the wire might have been a bad idea?

Wrapping the wire should make no difference. Sounds like a ground problem.
Does the fence wire make a loop (circuit) back to the charger?, Or does it dead end at the last post? Sounds like there is a ground problem at the charger. Current going right to ground and not going out the fence wire.

OK. The fence does not make a complete loop. It ends at the gate. Could that be my problem?

/ Solar Fence Charger, Easy Job...Right????? #9  
No, having a dead end is preferable to having a loop. You either have a bad connection from the charger or like everyone else is saying a bad ground. If you don't have any means of measuring voltage then undo the wire from the charger and connect a short wire up with an insulator on the end, like a very short fence, charge up with charger and take a steel post or something stuck in the ground and slowly approach wire to see if you can get a spark. if its weak then focus on improving your ground posts, ideally they should be galvanised since rusty posts can deliver poor connectivity in the ground. if the spark hasn't improved after adding one or two good grounds then get the charger checked out.
If you have a good solid spark right away then trace your fence for something that is draining the energy away, like long grass, a twig, a poor insulator etc.
Hope I've helped.

/ Solar Fence Charger, Easy Job...Right????? #10  
I'd disconnect fence (with charger off) put a piece of wire on post and to a 2x4 stake then try it (if you dare).:confused2:
TSC has fence testers for us more timid people:thumbsup:

If that works hook one pass of the wire up at a time to see which one is your problem