Solar Fence Charger, Easy Job...Right?????

/ Solar Fence Charger, Easy Job...Right????? #11  
i would say bad ground.

if you test it with your own body. please do not grasp ahold of it. and in that wrap your fingers and hand around the wire. if anything do it to an arm or back side of your hand. so when you get a jolt. you do not involuntary grasp on and unable to let go due to muscle contractions.

personally i just use a screw driver with a rubber handle on it. and place it on hot wire and another fence piece and see what happens. hot wires just send to much through me any more and will only do it if in an emergency.

==============

if you have metal T post as part of your fence posts. i might suggest running a "ground" wire just like the hot wire. but lower to the ground. and just wrap it around your T posts as you go along the fence line.

not sure about safety. but it will more likely insure a better ground. and when animals see the extra wire, they might be more inclined to stay away from it, and not try to go under it.

as far as actual grounding rods. vs rebar. some times you end up having dry soils like up on a hill top. and will require a much longer ground rod. if not a 2 or more of them spaced further out. so you can get good grounding. this has happened here at this farm years ago.

/ Solar Fence Charger, Easy Job...Right????? #12  
Are you using electric fence wire? Not all wire is compatible with an electric fence system. I test mine with a blade of grass. It knocks the volts down to just a tingle.

/ Solar Fence Charger, Easy Job...Right????? #13  
I have used several chargers, only have 2 now.

As already said, I would suspect the ground. 95% of the time that is the problem with poor performance. If you can, get 2 ground rods, copper or galvanized, either way they are sold as "ground rods", and put them in about 4' apart, wired in series. Most importantly, try to put them in a moist area or one you can keep moist. Even one in a moist area is better than re-bar. IMO

The unit you bought has mixed reviews from other purchasers, mostly on the longevity and power. I think that one is pushing it for horse control according to the unit literature. (small animals/ pets and short haired animals)

Do you have Electric power available??

Last edited:
   / Solar Fence Charger, Easy Job...Right????? #14  
Check out the recommended ground rod setup here:
Electric Fencing, How It Works | ZarebaSystems.com

You can test between the posts on the charger to see if the charger is working. With the fence disconnected, touch a screwdriver shaft on the ground post and leave a small gap from the tip to the hot post. The 7200V rated output should jump a decent gap.