Solar power & Wind Power for residental use

Status
Not open for further replies.
   / Solar power & Wind Power for residental use #1  

Terry1040

Silver Member
Tractor
John Deere 1030
:cool2: We installed a wind power tower late in 2015. This replaces the one that my father put in about 30 years ago. That one long ago was blown down by the wind. I know that the cost of solar installs have greatly decreased to the point that solar now is much more cost efficient. We live in an area that our power company has declared solar to be a great choice. On my residence in town, our power company is going to provide an option for homeowners to elect solar power. This means that I might be paying a slightly higher cost, if the solar does not fully self pay, for the large unit that the power company is planning to install. However separately, I intend to add solar for other farm buildings. Part of my motivation is the continual increase in rates from the power companies. I have signed wind power leases on several farms to developers, but that is a very slow process. I would encourage anyone with working solar to respond as to their experience. Also, I would consider others to consider if it might be right for them to reduce their public power dependence by using solar or wind. Happy New Year.

/ Solar power & Wind Power for residental use #2  
Where would wind, solar and NG turbines be without the rate payer and tax payer subsidies ?
Are solar panels made from pixie dust, manufactured in Fairy Land the transported by Unicorns.
How do you propose backing up power for when it's dark and not windy . Please do not waste our time saying pumped hydro electric or next generation batteries .

Last edited:
   / Solar power & Wind Power for residental use #3  
Where would wind, solar and NG turbines be without the rate payer and tax payer subsidies ?
Rhetorical question isn't it? Wind makes sense where the wind blows a lot so maybe the OP (Nebraska flat lands) can make it work...it would never be affordable here without (and perhaps even with) government subsidies. Solar...same thing (sun sets pretty low in the north this time of year)...I saw something recently that said even "green" Germany only gets 7% of its power from "green" energy after spending billions (trillions?) on it and is actually considering scaling back purely on a cost/benefit basis. For those that don't care about cost then I say have at it. I'll continue to pay my utility company and not have to deal with the ugly solar panels and the frequent and expensive maintenance of wind towers.

/ Solar power & Wind Power for residental use #4  
Personally I like this,
View attachment chp article.pdf
You would have to have a need for the hot water. Basically you are generating your own electricity, then using the heat from the engine to make hot water, either using the electricity on sight or selling it back. The pay back it the hot water. If they could come up with a small residential unit i would consider it. I think it has less carbon foot print than the solar and wind. All that glass in those solar panels don't make its self, nor does the concrete steal and aluminum in those wind turbines. Not to mention having to get the power lines to where the wind turbines are. Its funny no one what to figure the emissions that are emitted in producing the wind turbines and solar panels. They just want us to think they produce electricity and produce no carbon emissions in the process.

/ Solar power & Wind Power for residental use #5  
Check out the Ontario Auditor General's report on Green Power. Billions wasted to date.

/ Solar power & Wind Power for residental use #6  
How do you propose backing up power for when it's dark and not windy . Please do not waste our time saying pumped hydro electric or next generation batteries .

"Whether you think you can, or you think you can't - you're right."
Henry Ford

People have been living aboard cruising sailboats for years and don't get any subsidies. They use wind power, towed gensets, solar or all of the above to recharge batteries that are generally "old tech" deep cycle batteries. And think nothing of it. I've always maintained that the average cruising sailor makes the average "prepper" look foolish, because it's their mindset and skills more than the gear.

With LED lighting and wood, pellet, or propane heat, more and more people who are building "near off-grid" systems, because they want to be independent.

A local business https://www.altestore.com/store/ has a good business setting up small scale (un subsidized) off-grid systems. I know several people who have set up their camps or cabins with this gear, including water pumps, lighting, radios, and electric assist for heat. They don't typically have washers and dryers, for example, but lots of people are going to passive systems rather than running gensets all day and night.

Only the devoted are living this way full time, but it's getting easier and cheaper to do.

/ Solar power & Wind Power for residental use #7  
Our local town had a SolarizeCville push. They assembled 3 or 4 solar contractors and let us request a bid. Our 3.18 kw panel system came in at just under $10k. With the 30% tax rebate this year (and through next to any next year), it's a 7 to 9 year payout, about $54/mo. Ours went in about mid December.

Our Dominion Electric only gives us credit for any excess power within the first 30 days. Normally, it just goes into the system via a net meter and is used overnight.

The electric car company now is providing NiHydride batteries that can be charged and then be used to power the house later. They'd possibly pay out if you live in an area where electricity during sunshine periods is more expensive than at night. Not so here in Virginia.

The size of our array is pretty close to what our average usage is overall each day for the year.

Ralph

Attachments

• Solar Panels 4Nov2015.JPG
    Solar Panels 4Nov2015.JPG
    47.9 KB · Views: 277
   / Solar power & Wind Power for residental use #8  
Rhetorical question isn't it? Wind makes sense where the wind blows a lot so maybe the OP (Nebraska flat lands) can make it work...it would never be affordable here without (and perhaps even with) government subsidies. Solar...same thing (sun sets pretty low in the north this time of year)...I saw something recently that said even "green" Germany only gets 7% of its power from "green" energy after spending billions (trillions?) on it and is actually considering scaling back purely on a cost/benefit basis. For those that don't care about cost then I say have at it. I'll continue to pay my utility company and not have to deal with the ugly solar panels and the frequent and expensive maintenance of wind towers.

We have hundreds of wind turbines here in Kansas where we are no stranger to wind. Many time the hundreds of acres of turbines are sitting idle. Not enough wind to turn rotors that are close to 300ft in diameter.
There seems to be no end to the number of generators being put up. Electricity is not efficient transported over long distances. Move it 100 miles and loose half of it. So you have to produce two to three times as much to get it where you need it.
If you want it to be effective build them close to the towns or industrial areas that need the power. 500 turbines in west central Kansas have to transport the energy at least 200 miles to a major metropolitan area. Not a lot of population out in that area.
A LOT of money is being wasted with no real payback or benefit.

/ Solar power & Wind Power for residental use #9  
Electricity is not efficient transported over long distances. Move it 100 miles and loose half of it. So you have to produce two to three times as much to get it where you need it.
Hydro Quebec provides a lot of power to New England. Much of their power is generated from James Bay in NW Quebec. The rest of it comes from Churchill Falls, Labrador. Those are 700 to over 1,000 miles from Boston.

Quebec Hydro states the power losses as 4.5 to 8%.

/ Solar power & Wind Power for residental use #10  
Hydro Quebec provides a lot of power to New England. Much of their power is generated from James Bay in NW Quebec. The rest of it comes from Churchill Falls, Labrador. Those are 700 to over 1,000 miles from Boston.

Quebec Hydro states the power losses as 4.5 to 8%.

I think someone needs to do the math again. Simple math equation. Having worked for a utility company I know well the line loss on high voltage transportation. The reason we build the coal plants close to the metro areas we serve.

Status
Not open for further replies.