Solar Trickle Charger

/ Solar Trickle Charger #51  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( 3 "units" in would either be 1.5v@360ma or 4.5v@120ma depending if you hooked them in parallel or serial (respectively).

)</font>

For you non electric types out there.. i hope you know that you should be listing those numbers like the 1.5 / 3 as w for watts.. not v for volts. Also.. these are designed as 12v units.. Not sure why you would want to be hooking in series unless you have a 24v project.

in any case.. watts are power.. power is a function of voltage and current.. expressed as
P=EI

If either E ( voltage) or I ( current goes up.. then P ( power / watts goes up.. )

Therefore 3 solar units parallelled would still be 12v charging (loaded ) and 360ma and (4.32) 4.5w if you trust those numbers... I seem to calculate more like 1.44 w.. not 1.5... anyway..

If you connected 2 units in series you would get 24v charge.. and assuming the 120ma.. you'd get 2.88w power.. etc..

Also realize that '12v' is a designator for system votlage nominal.. Unloaded these units put out higher voltage.. and realistically to charge.. must be at a higher potential than the battery for current to flow.. etc..

Soundguy

/ Solar Trickle Charger #52  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( </font><font color="blueclass=small">( 3 "units" in would either be 1.5v@360ma">1.5v@360ma</a> or <a href="mailto:4.5v@120ma depending if you hooked them in parallel or serial (respectively).

)</font>

For you non electric types out there.. i hope you know that you should be listing those numbers like the 1.5 / 3 as w for watts.. not v for volts. Also.. these are designed as 12v units.. Not sure why you would want to be hooking in series unless you have a 24v project.

in any case.. watts are power.. power is a function of voltage and current.. expressed as
P=EI

If either E ( voltage) or I ( current goes up.. then P ( power / watts goes up.. )

Therefore 3 solar units parallelled would still be 12v charging (loaded ) and 360ma and (4.32) 4.5w if you trust those numbers... I seem to calculate more like 1.44 w.. not 1.5... anyway..

If you connected 2 units in series you would get 24v charge.. and assuming the 120ma.. you'd get 2.88w power.. etc..

Also realize that '12v' is a designator for system votlage nominal.. Unloaded these units put out higher voltage.. and realistically to charge.. must be at a higher potential than the battery for current to flow.. etc..

Soundguy )</font>

You mean the 1.21 jigawatts that I have feeding my flux capacitor is too much? How else am I supposed to reach 88 mph? /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif