Solis S24 12 hr Report Card

/ Solis S24 12 hr Report Card #1  

Mitzdawg

Tractor
Solis S24
I just bought a Solis S24 and thought I might share some observations after 12 hrs of use.

Some context here: I had a 1965 Ford 4500 loader, and a couple of Fords - 1600 and 1400 - so this falls in-between.

This has to date been used in excavating a fire pond and drainage ditches on the property.

The loader performance is satisfactory. Would I like a little more ooomph? - yes, and I might research some large diameter lift pistons later on, but that's not a priority. (That 4500 spoiled me...) I have been able to get larger loads of muck in my bucket than my buddy has been able to scoop in his 50hp Yanmar. Some weight in the rear is definitely on the menu. I'd love a backhoe, but they don't seem to be available unless you have a direct line to God. I added hooks to the bucket. I also fitted an 8' snowplow via the SSQA mount.

I got the industrial tires and they have proven to work well in soft soil and mud. Haven't run out of traction yet; & haven't gotten stuck. I've run over stumps and haven't had a ground clearance issue. I may need chains for snowplowing?

I read that the work area is cramped. Nah, I have plenty of room (6' and 200lbs) but getting into it requires some gymnastics. Once situated, the controls are nicely placed and I've put 3+hrs continuous in the seat and have no complaints. Lighting is out-freakin-standing!

The engine starts well, runs great, and has power to spare. It also sips fuel - 12 hours in and only went through 3.5g of fuel! Nice!

Gripes:
The power steering is over-boosted.
The low range is too low, and the high range is too high for me right now - I'm hoping I'll "grow into it."
Getting the four wheel drive engaged is hard - the plunger handle needs to be stepped on to get it to go down and engage.
The diff lock foot lever is really hard to reach; but it seems to be immobile anyway and will require a warranty repair.
The seat switch has GOT to go. I can't even turn around to watch the 3 pt or glance behind without the engine cutting out. It's outta here!

So Far: I like it. A lot. It hasn't come up short anywhere (except the diff lock), and has exceeded expectations in lots of situations, and for a great price.
I'm really glad I bought it!

/ Solis S24 12 hr Report Card #2  
I just bought a Solis S24 and thought I might share some observations after 12 hrs of use.

Some context here: I had a 1965 Ford 4500 loader, and a couple of Fords - 1600 and 1400 - so this falls in-between.

This has to date been used in excavating a fire pond and drainage ditches on the property.

The loader performance is satisfactory. Would I like a little more ooomph? - yes, and I might research some large diameter lift pistons later on, but that's not a priority. (That 4500 spoiled me...) I have been able to get larger loads of muck in my bucket than my buddy has been able to scoop in his 50hp Yanmar. Some weight in the rear is definitely on the menu. I'd love a backhoe, but they don't seem to be available unless you have a direct line to God. I added hooks to the bucket. I also fitted an 8' snowplow via the SSQA mount.

I got the industrial tires and they have proven to work well in soft soil and mud. Haven't run out of traction yet; & haven't gotten stuck. I've run over stumps and haven't had a ground clearance issue. I may need chains for snowplowing?

I read that the work area is cramped. Nah, I have plenty of room (6' and 200lbs) but getting into it requires some gymnastics. Once situated, the controls are nicely placed and I've put 3+hrs continuous in the seat and have no complaints. Lighting is out-freakin-standing!

The engine starts well, runs great, and has power to spare. It also sips fuel - 12 hours in and only went through 3.5g of fuel! Nice!

Gripes:
The low range is too low, and the high range is too high for me right now - I'm hoping I'll "grow into it."
Getting the four wheel drive engaged is hard - the plunger handle needs to be stepped on to get it to go down and engage.
The diff lock foot lever is really hard to reach; but it seems to be immobile anyway and will require a warranty repair.
The seat switch has GOT to go. I can't even turn around to watch the 3 pt or glance behind without the engine cutting out. It's outta here!

So Far: I like it. A lot. It hasn't come up short anywhere (except the diff lock), and has exceeded expectations in lots of situations, and for a great price.
Ah, you have the Mitsubishi S3L2 Solis. Still a good machine. Either the Yanmar or Mitsubishi engines are reliable.

Keep providing updates, love to hear them.

/ Solis S24 12 hr Report Card #3  
I wouldn't force the 4wd lever. It should NOT need to be forced. You will break something. Best bet is to turn the steering wheel left and right as you apply firm pressure. It will unbind the drive line. Many people have damaged their tractor doing what you described

/ Solis S24 12 hr Report Card #4  

Gripes:

Gripes:

GREAT POST! i also purchased this same machine. The diff lock is still the only feature I haven't been able to engage and disengage. its in a very tight area. My only other gripe about this machine is the hood. i opened and closed it twice and now the latch mechanism will not accept the hood. I dont want to force it and break it. Anybody else had this issue?

/ Solis S24 12 hr Report Card
New tidbits on my S24:

1) The tool kit that comes with the tractor is really nice, there's a nice assortment that ought to cover any "field repairs" and light maintenance. But the tool box that's installed on the left rear fender is way too small to house the tool kit... IMG_2471.JPG
2) The ROPs is foldable, which is really nice. The concept is that you can pull two pins, store those pins in lower holes, and the upper bar will hinge back on two bolts. Easy peasy. But the bolts and pins are installed backwards from the factory, so pulling the pins doesn't do anything. It's easy to swap the bolts and pins, but the bolts need to have flats ground on the heads so they will fit in the lower holes. Once that's done it works well.
IMG_2472.JPG
3) As predicted the transmission speed ranges are now comfortable.
4) The stupid Diff Lock still doesn't work, and the tiny space it occupies is a problem. It's tucked into crevasse that's VERY narrow (see pic) - barely a glove's width. Getting the heel of your shoe in there is really hard (I wear a 9.5 shoe). The lever looks bent and hits the the side of the tunnel cover as it tries to go down. This is a bad design! The lever needs to be longer.

IMG_2473.JPG

/ Solis S24 12 hr Report Card
Updates!
1) on the Diff Lock not moving:
The lever mechanism under the floorboard was hitting the Hydraulic loader lines. The lines needed to be slightly rerouted and zip-tied out of the way. Engagement is still stiff and I'm told will ease with use.
2) The 4X lever needs some constant downforce to get the gear dogs to engage. The amount of downforce will get lower with use as things get comfortable. Resting you foot on the handle is OK.