Solution for a Clay Packed Twelve(12) Inch Backhoe Bucket

/ Solution for a Clay Packed Twelve(12) Inch Backhoe Bucket #11  
I built a narrow (6") ditch bucket for my 580B several years ago, have clay soil, spent as much time dumping as filling :=(

If I ever need that function again, I'll either rent a trencher or build one of these (don't remember where I got the pic, I do a LOT of "researching", spelled T-H-E-F-T :=)

ClayDitchBkt.jpg

/ Solution for a Clay Packed Twelve(12) Inch Backhoe Bucket #12  
You bucket looks like a cribbing bucket. We use them to crip out the ballast between crossties on the railroad. They do pretty good for digging narrow trenches too.

/ Solution for a Clay Packed Twelve(12) Inch Backhoe Bucket #13  
I found this somewhere.

Attachments

• selfcleaningbackhoebucket.pdf
    160.4 KB · Views: 970
   / Solution for a Clay Packed Twelve(12) Inch Backhoe Bucket #14  
Thanks fisherridge. Without the drawing was struggling with the design concept.

/ Solution for a Clay Packed Twelve(12) Inch Backhoe Bucket
Hi,

That is the basically the thing I did except I welded the ends inside the bucket next to the upper edge. That way there is nothing to remove off the machine when you change buckets. I did not tie the two chains together with a cross chain, but made them quite loose, so they could flop around.

Joe

/ Solution for a Clay Packed Twelve(12) Inch Backhoe Bucket #16  
Hi,

That is the basically the thing I did except I welded the ends inside the bucket next to the upper edge. That way there is nothing to remove off the machine when you change buckets. I did not tie the two chains together with a cross chain, but made them quite loose, so they could flop around.

Joe

So when you dump the bucket, the chains dont actually pull tight then??

I would think with them attached to the dipper like in the pic, that having them draw up tight when the bucket is dumped, would be more effective?

/ Solution for a Clay Packed Twelve(12) Inch Backhoe Bucket #18  
Search google for "Mythbusters cement truck":D