Some illumination please

/ Some illumination please #1  

arrow

Tractor
Mahindra 3016
About to step into the world of wire feed welders coming from stick machines.. Two questions: 1. How much welding in terms of linear measurement (feet or inches) before you have to replace a tip?
2. How many inches of welds can be had with a .30 2lb roll? Same as 2 lbs of stick?
This will be a flux core machine if that makes any difference.

/ Some illumination please #2  
About to step into the world of wire feed welders coming from stick machines.. Two questions: 1. How much welding in terms of linear measurement (feet or inches) before you have to replace a tip?
2. How many inches of welds can be had with a .30 2lb roll? Same as 2 lbs of stick?

As for first question..... Probably 10-12 two pound rolls and maybe on 2nd or 3rd contact tip for me (over about 7 years) and contact tips are really cheap.....

Keep in mind with MIG (GMAW - Gas Metal Arc Weld) the filler material is all filler so two pounds of wire is total weight useable, two pounds of FCAW (Flux Core Arc Weld) maybe 40% of weight is flux and as stick, 2 pounds of stick includes a certain amount of weight that is flux.... To compare wire in inches of weld vs stick (size) is try to compare apples and oranges....

DISCLAIMER: Numbers are not precise but a generalization ...

Suggest you get a machined that is both FCAW and GMAW capable..... I have pretty much abandon FCAW except for desperation (welding conditions - dirty work and breeze)

Need some enlightenment on wire welding...

Welding Tips and Tricks - TIG, MIG, Stick and a pantload of other info

How NOT TO Weld: Most Common MIG Welding Mistakes (Everlast PowerMTS) - YouTube

Dale

/ Some illumination please #3  
Question as stated is impossible to answer.

You can run a few hundred pounds of wire thru a tip or you can run a few feet and ruin de tip. Flux machine only gonna eat more tips due to lack of cooling of de tip by gas flow. Expanding gas in nozzle is refrigeration by expansion.

Flux only machine bad investment! Only good thing bout it is when you buy real machine you can use flux machine to cut foam, passivate Stainless and a few other tings.

/ Some illumination please #4  
Yeah, I've gone through many pounds of wire in my old cheezy harbor freight flux core welder without changing a tip... the hardest thing on tips is holding the tip too close to the weld, get too close and you weld the wire to the tip, I've only done that a couple times... still welding fine.

Flux core has it's limitations and isn't always pretty but it is VERY handy as all you need is the welder, it's self contained... I put a big spool in my Titanium MIG 170 after I went through the original small spool and it just keeps going... once I get my shop going I'll set up my Unlimited 200 on gas and keep the 170 as flux...

In short, pick up a spare pack of tips, tape them in the side compartment of the welder for whenever it comes up so you're prepared but it likely won't be an issue...

/ Some illumination please
Thanks DL, very comprehensive.
(removed), I like your chainsaw files (just kidding) also I learned a new word...passivate. I just need something quick for thinner metals.
Ranger, thanks for the hands on experience.

I never understood what the deal is with the "stack of dimes" look. Other than looks, what are the benefits? I seem to like the "bead of caulk" look as if your finger ran down the weld to smooth it out like you do with caulking.. That would prolly hurt however.

/ Some illumination please #6  
I tend to watch "arc" more and where it is depositing the puddle to get a good molecular bond between the two welded pieces, stack of dimes is pretty, but a half ugly weld that does not fail is very acceptable to me.......

Dale

/ Some illumination please #7  
I've heard the stack of dimes welds are weaker because of all of the stress risers which makes sense...

I'd rather have penetration and a somewhat consistent weld than a pretty weld, that's hard enough working on random stuff sporadically

/ Some illumination please #8  
Kinda depend's on how much metal you deposit as spatter and how much is left over for bead. :D

Thanks DL, very comprehensive.
(removed), I like your chainsaw files (just kidding) also I learned a new word...passivate. I just need something quick for thinner metals.
Ranger, thanks for the hands on experience.

I never understood what the deal is with the "stack of dimes" look. Other than looks, what are the benefits? I seem to like the "bead of caulk" look as if your finger ran down the weld to smooth it out like you do with caulking.. That would prolly hurt however.
What good is stack of dimes? In the technical sense,not much. In GMAW it can be a way for sorry welders to show off and impress boy friends.
In all processes,it look's good and is prefered by many product consumers. For a person that doesn't have a great amount of expertise in judging weld beads but does understand what a decent toe look's like,stack of dimes without excessive crown might be indication of weldor's ability to control the puddle. Of all things welding,puddle control is required to do everything else correct. I would suggest as an exercise,one could pratice making stacks on scrap until they can do them while concentrating on other factors. Can I,do I stack dimes? No but I can stack washers on any rod you hand me. :jester:

/ Some illumination please #9  
The whole " stack of dimes " verbiage IMO is just to refer to the ultimate weld look which is Tig. The closer you can come to a Tig looking weld with Mig seems to bring out the stack of dimes comparison. I too am guilty of enjoying the Mig stack of dimes ( I have equipment that will do it with all filler metals ) but C6 metal core on twin pulse will make a sub arc looking bead and looks great. No dimes there. Same when you drag twin pulse stainless. Looks like it's painted on. So stack of dimes is a goal of many but there are other cool beads to be made as well even spray and the benefit of a weld is on the inside not the outside..

/ Some illumination please #10  
The answer is YES.

It's operator dependent. Like asking how many miles per gallon does a car get.