Some Modifications to the 4060

/ Some Modifications to the 4060 #1  

Fxfymn

Silver Member
Tractor
Kubota L4060 HST, FEL; Kubota BX2660
Just like everyone on here I made a couple of modifications to the new 4060 so it would meet my needs. I added the snow plow mount, made up a shield for the hydraulic quick connects on the front of the loader and added a screen to the fuel tank fill hole. I also came up with a way to re-route the hoses from the 3rd function valve box and added a shield to it, but I already showed that in a previous post.

The snow plow mount was a little tougher than I thought it would be since the 4060's frame is 3/8" wider than the 3430's. I ended up cutting up the old frame and re-welding it to make it fit. Fortunately the holes are still in the same place on the 4060 as the 3430. I also welded a piece of 2x2x1/4 angle across the brush guard so I could add the top lift cylinder mount. On the bottom lift cylinder mount I had to cut the front plate of the brush guard out and move it back 2 1/2" so the loader bucket would not hit it. I still need to add a couple of through bolts to the sides of the brush guard so it can handle the weight without folding down. SP1_1381.JPGSP1_1383.JPG

The quick connect shield is just a 2 1/4" pipe double female that I cut in half and welded to a piece of angle stock after I drilled the right sized holes for the couplers to fit through. I then welded an end on a short length of 2 1/4" pipe that can be screwed into the coupler mount to keep dirt from getting into the couplers. Pretty crude, but it works.SP1_1387.JPGSP1_1389.JPGSP1_1390.JPG

The fuel screen is just a few pieces of 1/8" diameter wire welded into rings that match the fuel tank neck. The lower ring is small enough to allow the screen to taper and the top ring is big enough to catch on the lip that is right under the cap. I used a socket to form them. The screen is copper screen I got from Amazon in a 12x24 sheet. I soldered it together to keep the bottom solid and to seal the side together. This was born after I had to do "open tank surgery" on my BX to fish a piece of crap out of it that was plugging up the fuel line and I could not get with a vacuum:rolleyes:. IMO Kubota should put this in at the factory, but that's just my $.02.SP1_1379.JPGSP1_1385.JPG

/ Some Modifications to the 4060 #2  
Might do the screen thing myself. Had plastic over the fuel nozzle to keep crap out & my father-in-law fueled it... took a while to fish that plastic out & bleed the injectors on my L3200 after it died & I figured out what happened.

Have any photos of your full plow setup?

/ Some Modifications to the 4060
The avatar is a pic of the 3430 with the plow setup I use. The 4060 will be basically the same. I take the loader off and use the loader valve to operate the plow. The float connection is the lift and the curl connections are the power angle.

I tried using the blade attached to the loader, but I found that the blade kept pushing me around because when it was way out there it had a lot of leverage to move the tractor. Once I moved it up onto the tractor frame I stopped having that problem.

Right now I'm adding a frame to the rear of the tractor to hold a tool box; something Kubota did not think was needed I guess. When I get that done I intend to hook up the plow just to make sure everything is kosher and I'll take a picture of it then.

The fuel screen is really pretty easy to do and it falls in the "ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure" category for me. I had folks tell me that it would not take fuel fast enough if I did this, but I use a 12V pump on a tank that flows around 4 GPM and it has never slowed me down.

Last edited:
   / Some Modifications to the 4060 #4  
Very nice modifications.:thumbsup:

I assume you want pics of how the blade and hydraulics are attached. Here they are:SP1_1395.JPG SP1_1396.JPG

SP1_1397.JPG

If you need pics of the blade let me know. it is just a standard Meyers 7.5' blade. The blade is almost 40 years old and is probably as much welding wire as it is original steel, so I'm trying to find a replacement now.

I also added a tool box to the back end. With the 3430 it seemed like I was always going back to the garage to get something I needed, so I was determined to set this one up with a big enough tool box to carry all of the pins, adapters, and bolts I seem to always need. I also wanted enough room to carry a few regularly used tools like a hammer, drifts, screwdrivers, etc.

When I built the frame I had a particular box in mind and built it so I could carry the box and an ammo box for chains. When I got the box it was about 1/2" too tall:confused: I screwed that up! Fortunately I found this box at Northern and it fits like I knew what I was doing.:dance1:

I'm still going to add the ammo box, but in a different location. This cab is just too nice to have chains and other crap floating around in it!

Here is what I came up with: SP1_1392.JPG SP1_1401.JPG

/ Some Modifications to the 4060 #7  
Very nice mods !!! Are the hoses for the blade over far enough to clear the tire when you turn sharp?

Are the hoses for the blade over far enough to clear the tire when you turn sharp?
Good point. I did not check that, but I will. Thanks.

/ Some Modifications to the 4060 #9  
Might do the screen thing myself. Had plastic over the fuel nozzle to keep crap out & my father-in-law fueled it... took a while to fish that plastic out & bleed the injectors on my L3200 after it died & I figured out what happened.

Just purchase the fuel tank neck filter at a Mahindra dealer

/ Some Modifications to the 4060 #10  
I also added a tool box to the back end. With the 3430 it seemed like I was always going back to the garage to get something I needed, so I was determined to set this one up with a big enough tool box to carry all of the pins, adapters, and bolts I seem to always need. I also wanted enough room to carry a few regularly used tools like a hammer, drifts, screwdrivers, etc.

When I built the frame I had a particular box in mind and built it so I could carry the box and an ammo box for chains. When I got the box it was about 1/2" too tall:confused: I screwed that up! Fortunately I found this box at Northern and it fits like I knew what I was doing.:dance1:

I'm still going to add the ammo box, but in a different location. This cab is just too nice to have chains and other crap floating around in it!

Here is what I came up with: View attachment 486882 View attachment 486883

Plow gently with that.

I first in thought your mount was not rugged enough, but thinking about it, you do not want to make it stronger than the tractor frame.

I really pounded my L39 loader with the loader mounted snow plow, I lucky the loader is real sturdy.

I bet my snow plow mount has 40 Lbs of weld metal repair.