Some more plant questions

/ Some more plant questions #1  

Platinum Member
Tractor
Kubota B6100E Kubota L 2501 Kubota T1460
Seems like we have some plant experts on this forum and Im glad. I dont typically have a problem with growing plants but I know zero about technicalities and have so much going on with my land project Im hoping to get some dummied down info for this plant dummy.

Ive ordered these 5-Nellie R Stevens Holly Liners | eBay for my property.

At someone suggestions I did a little bit of research and it seems like they are almost idiot proof in that they are a fairly low maintenance plant.

I NEED these plant to survive, at this point I have a 5 acre lot that is nearly empty of any type of plant life with the exception of a few live oak trees. This weekend I removed the last of the blackjack oak trees that were on the property cause they were sickly looking, really had no root system and in my opinion werent a safe tree to have on the property.

Before I started the work on the property there were literally hundreds of pine trees ( I dont like pine ), they are all gone now, next came the blackjack oak trees which looked horrible and so now they are gone, lastly is the scattering of the live oak trees, there are a few ( maybe 3 or 4 on the property which are a pretty good size and I am thinking they will start to branch out better now that they arent being constricted by the pines and provide some shade in a few years.

There are quite a few others that are very small that I prob cant ever rely on since Im not gonna live forever.

The soil on the property is sand, in most places youd think you were on the beach.

Google says......."Nellie R. Stevens" holly performs best in well-drained, acidic soil. If you do not have that in your area, don't worry too much, as the plant grows fine in slightly alkaline soil, heavy clay, dry sand and almost every soil type in between. It will even survive in intermittently wet soils, but not consistent flooding.......
well drained Im sure I have covered, water goes into the ground fast, I dont know what acidic means? I dont know what alkaline means, if my soil is none of the above does this mean Im gonna have to constantly be feeding these plants something just to keep them alive?

I need to have my soil tested, its cheap thru the local extension service, I havent had it done yet cause I have been turning over the ground everywhere. The soil that is now on the top was the soil that was quite a few inches down a few weeks ago.

The property can go weeks and sometimes longer without rain and then sometimes it will rain every day for weeks and longer. No rhyme or reason to the weather there.

I was told once that the soil there was so poor that the only thing that would thrive there was pine trees, I dont know if thats true but the area is called Piney Hill Farms.

West Central Florida. Marion County Dunnellon

/ Some more plant questions #2  
The soil test results will say you need everything but more sand. LOL. Just dig the hole bigger than what you need and mix in some cow manure and plant your plants. Make sure to water it in good and don't worry. They will grow.

/ Some more plant questions
The soil test results will say you need everything but more sand. LOL. Just dig the hole bigger than what you need and mix in some cow manure and plant your plants. Make sure to water it in good and don't worry. They will grow.

I think your right. I dont have water yet on the property and Im only there on weekends which means I can only water weekends with water i bring in ( for now )

I may keep the plants at home for now until next year and Im sure by then I can have a well in place

/ Some more plant questions #4  
I owned a landscaping business in Pensacola for 13 years. The soil will be acidic. Azaleas, Camellia, and plants such as that are good.

For sod and vegetables you will need lime. About 2 tons to the acre. Just keep it away from the plants mentioned above. For fertilizer, 13-13-13 with all the trace elements is a great choice. Then lots of water and sharp blades on your mower. Lol

/ Some more plant questions
I owned a landscaping business in Pensacola for 13 years. The soil will be acidic. Azaleas, Camellia, and plants such as that are good.

For sod and vegetables you will need lime. About 2 tons to the acre. Just keep it away from the plants mentioned above. For fertilizer, 13-13-13 with all the trace elements is a great choice. Then lots of water and sharp blades on your mower. Lol

Because I dont have alot of experience growing things in Florida its beyond me how anything grows in the sand, before I cleared the property there were even a few places on the property where there was nothing growing, absolutely nothing, just sand, I often wonder how that happens, as far as the eye can see Pine trees and then these spots where there was nothing.

Hard not to think that the soil in these areas was the worst of the worst