SOME PTO QUESTIONS

/ SOME PTO QUESTIONS #11  
Exactly. I have seen a number of older tractors that the pto spins as soon as you start the engine. There's no power applied, it just spins due to the hydraulic fluid sloshing around. You can stop them with one hand easily. The trick is knowing whether this is the case or not. And no, I'm not recommending this as a method to find out.

besides the oil coupling.. most older single stage clutch trans pto systems can operate their pto JUST FINE, powered, etc, with t he machine setting still.

think about a trctro running a feedmill, saw, power generator, stationary bailer.. etc. those are all examples of a tractor running, pto engaged and turning under power, tranny in neutral... no tractro movement.

that's more the rule.. not the exception.

/ SOME PTO QUESTIONS
Soundguy, I think "live" pto was an option, not standard on 20 series Fords as well as most Compact tractors of the era. But I may be wrong.

Certainly for my "test" I will need another person to operate the tractor while I observe the shaft.

Let me know if you feel this is correct and a valid test.

With the engine running, the operator pushes clutch in, engages both pto and transmission, then partially lets clutch out. The PTO shaft rotates, but no forward motion of tractor.

This is the whole reason for "live" PTO, to stop forward motion, while allowing the baler/mower to chew through a load of hay/grass or other load.

/ SOME PTO QUESTIONS #13  
your pto test would be correct for a properly working 2 stage clutch.

as for the 20 series. i believe , at least the 1920 only came as a shuttle 12x12 or as a 12x4 both live..e tc. RickB could verify this however though.

/ SOME PTO QUESTIONS
Soundguy,

I will be looking for a 1920 Ford as well then.

Thanks for verifying my testing method, short of hooking up a baler or mower, I could come up with no better means.

/ SOME PTO QUESTIONS #15  
good luck.

a 1920 is an awesome tractor.. I regret trading mine...

/ SOME PTO QUESTIONS
Soundguy,

I nearly bought either a Ford 1720 or 1920 years ago new. I instead found a low hour International 444 utility. I was farming 50 acres of hay and pasture for cattle and horses. The 444 was better suited for hay baler work then. I still remain impressed by the 10 and 20 series Fords.

I had a John Deere "G" and a Farmall "A" for my secondary tractors.

/ SOME PTO QUESTIONS #17  
I have a farmall C.. cute lil thing. I had my 44 H out today dragging my pasture with it.

/ SOME PTO QUESTIONS
I usually used the Farmall "A" to pull the ground drive manure spreader. I had to always be sure and make my first pass on top of the ridgeline and not at the bottom. It did not have the power to pull a near full load up the hill. I could have used a "Super A" and it's 4 extra horse power.

The "A" had PTO, almost a rarity and certainly an expensive option for the time.

/ SOME PTO QUESTIONS #19  
my back and hip are now paying for bouncing around on the H yesterday....

/ SOME PTO QUESTIONS
Soundguy,

When I was young and stupid, I used to think power steering, adjustable cushioned seats, live hydraulics and pto was for sissies until I drove a then new International Harvester 656. That has become the standard I measure all tractors against since then. Some have equalled it, few have surpassed it.

Drive your recliner until back and hip feel better.