Someone shot dog...

/ Someone shot dog... #11  
I plan to invent a people vaporizer!! Then you can just vaporize your enemies.. No muss, no fuss, just gone....Well in the real world you have to get along with neihbors. I think the worst bastard is the one who dumped your new dog out there in the first place. I have a dog I call Fugly, he showed up with a puppy a few years ago.. We found a new home for puppy. After treating Fugly for heart worms we just kept him. I have a kennel building so he lives the life of Riley....Fugly is kept well confined so I don't worry about his safety... I can only suggest fencing a "dog yard" and keep your dogs confined.. There will be other dogs dumped out by your place and if you (or they) decide that they are your dog you can take proper care of them.....Nothing but trouble awaits a wondering dog!
People are the worst but other dangers await also....I wish I could vaporize your neighbors for you!!!!

/ Someone shot dog... #12  
Please take the dog to the veterinarian and have them do an xray of the injury. Then ask them to call the police and have an officer observe the removal of the bullet and enter it into evidence. It is important to preserve the chain of custody of the bullet so a prosecution can be made in the future. Even if you have buried the dog, it is worth the trouble to exhume him. Animal cruelty is a serious matter that can and will be prosecuted if you make the complaint. There is also the further prosecution of firing a weapon within a certain distance of a house. It will not stop unless you put some pressure on the neighbor by utilizing the local law enforcement departments. That is what they are there for, your protection. Also call the local animal control officer and see if there have been any other problems like this in the area. Insist that there be a complete and ongoing investigation, even if you have to get the local newspaper and television stations involved. Keep the heat on them.

/ Someone shot dog... #13  
I just spoke with a friend of mine who is a Police Chief. He told me that the bullet would be entered into a National data base and that the bullet's markings would be compared on a continual basis to others of the same caliber whenever another is entered, just like fingerprints. This will greatly enhance the chances of the perpetrator being caught. This time it is a dog, but who knows what they might shoot next time? You never know when you come home and find a hole in the siding. Hopefully that will never occur, but if it did, there would be the original bullet for comparison. Don't take chances with your and your families security. Get that bullet entered into evidence.......

/ Someone shot dog...
Hi again all,

Thanks for the kind words. I wrote my inital post last night after the police left.

Well, my wife drove our girls to school this morning and on the way back stopped at our mail box to check for mail.

Inside was a homemade flyer that read, "LOST DOG, 95 lb. mixed breed-brindle colored, Name:Gator" with a picture of the dog.

That poor dog would have gone home today. I called the owner and he's coming to get Gator tonight after work. He said he just put the flyer in our box this morning and he lives about 2-3 miles away.

Man, oh man...

/ Someone shot dog... #16  
sorry to hear about your neighbor problems and the death of the dog, However I have to agree with thegreat, People who drop off unwanted pets in the country are pure scum. I would like to see all dogs be chipped and tied to the owners id, so if they are found stray the owner can be caught and prosecuted. Make it a part of the liscensing process. Having a pet is a commitment to take care of it and keep it out of other peoples way. It is not something you can just dump when you get tired of it or move, Or let roam and cause others problems. Well rant over.

I have had to kill a few dogs (strays) for chasing livestock and one that was not a stray but killed a calf and the owner had been repeatedly warned to keep the dog away from the stock.
The owner called the sherrif and when he came out and got the facts , just asked me if I wanted to make the owner pay for the calf, I declined. I had covered my butt with a certified letter and copy to the sheriffs office warning the owner to keep his dog up.

I NEVER like to kill anything (except chiggers and mosquitoes), but sometimes it is necessary.

/ Someone shot dog... #17  
What a shame. Maybe between you and the "original" owner you can get to the bottom of it.

/ Someone shot dog... #18  
I have 4 dogs and I would be plenty p!ssed if someone came on the property and hurt or killed one of them. But if they managed to get loose and into a neighbor's yard, I'm gonna understand if the dog doesn't come home, or comes home hurt. We have chickens, and I lose most of them by the end of the year- fox, coyotes and maybe the occasional roaming dog. That dog would be just as dead as the foxes and coyotes if he's running the birds. I just can't understand folks who let their pets run loose and then wonder why they don't come home. Sorry about Gator.

/ Someone shot dog... #19  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( I have had to kill a few dogs (strays) for chasing livestock and one that was not a stray but killed a calf and the owner had been repeatedly warned to keep the dog away from the stock. )</font>

That, is a differant story altogether. Problem animals like may in fact leave you no choice.

/ Someone shot dog... #20  
Explain the situation to Gator's master (in detail) then introduce him to your neighbors. With any luck you'll have a 3rd party giving your neighbor what they deserve. Then testify it was self defence.