Something different

/ Something different #1  

Anonymous Poster

I was hoping to get suggestions on purchasing a sub compact tractor to clean and clear debis from a beach. It would need to be 4 WD. I am looking for an attachment that will rake bottles cups etc from soft sand. I willl also require a front end loader and grass cutting attachment. Did I mention a trailerThanks

/ Something different #2  
I'd almost think you'd want to make something with a screen of expanded metal to use in place of your loader bucket for cleaning the beach. It would seem to me you'd want to "filter" or "screen" or "sift" the material so as not to move a lot of sand with your trash.

As to the tractor itself, I'd think something with tires as big as you could find to stay on top of the sand. The big three tractor makers (John Deere, Kubota and New Holland presented alphabetically) all make fine machines as well as some others and then there's the gray market stuff. There are forums here for a lot of those.

My best advice would be to shop around and talk to different dealers in your area to find one with whom you're comfortable and go from there. Good luck with whatever you decide. I hope this helps. /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

/ Something different #3  
I live about 20 minutes from the beaches of Delaware and Maryland and have seen "beach gleaners" sifting sand in the morning before the tourists flop down for their daily dose of U.V. rays. These units are highly specialized, tow-hehind, and I don't recall ever seeing a manufacturer's emblem on the machines.

The ones I have seen working appear to be ground driven and pull in an 8" deep (?) by 72"-96" wide swath of sand that is filtered and laid back down. I first saw these contraptions at work back in the mid-80's/late-80's when medical waste was washing up on shore in New Jersey, which was the result of "Organized" solid waste disposal companies dumping garbage scows out at sea in the Mid-Atlantic. I suppose people wanted clean beaches before then, but that was the time frame in which I first began to see sand groomers. Here's a link to one such company that offers a tow-behind. From what I can tell, this is not a "personal use" unit. I suppose flotation tires on your tractor using a great-big-'ole landscape rake would pick up the big stuff, including cans and appendages (body parts in 'Jersey, only, of course).

<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.cleanbeach.com/products.htm>Beach King and Queen</A>

/ Something different #4  
Here's a pic of the "Beach Queen II" with debris bucket hoisted

Attachments

• 46-220664-BQII7_jpg.jpg
    46-220664-BQII7_jpg.jpg
    56.9 KB · Views: 112
   / Something different #5  
Soft sand can be difficult for a light weight tractor.

I recently sold a Century 2028 (28HP)4WD with Loader and R4 (Industrial) tires to a local Cutting horse facility for dragging their very sandy arenas, and cleaning stalls etc.
They had tried both Kubota and New Holland, and neither would work in their sandy arenas. (Too light weight). But the heavier Century worked great.

I agree with Gary in Indiana, that you should get with a dealer that you feel comfortable with, AND that dealer should let you try out the tractor in the conditions you will be using it in before you buy it.

Dancce

/ Something different #6  
I have been to beaches that just used a big York[landscape] rake to clean the beach. As for tires, oh, ya, you will need a nice wide turf type tire for a beach. Ag's will just dig down, till you cant find the tractor anymore. As for a trailer, you realy need to get the tractor, and attachments first. You would not know what to get, till you know what you got./w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif One thing, make sure you take care of that tractor after you get it. Sand, and salt air is not good for them. Wash it ALOT. Filters, and fluids changed all the time. I would check, and clean the air filter after every use. During the off season,[do you have an off season??] I would disassamble a lot of the tractor[the loarder, 3ph assembley, linkeges, hubs, etc] to clean, and lube. Got to get that sand, and salt out.

/ Something different #7  
WOW !!! now I know why they charge $10 a day per person to lay on the NJ beach to get those rays, some big $$$ to keep them clean.

I am thinking he is going to spend a lot more $$ then for a subcompact tractor for $10-13K depending on set up and mfg.???

/ Something different #8  
I have seen units like the Beach Queen in South Carolina and they do a great job. The tractor they were using had the large turf tires on and it worked fine.

/ Something different #9  
For what it's worth, I have a Kubota B7500 with R4 tires, FEL and BH. I just ventured down to my beach for the first time this week. We have a very steep trail for access. The trail gave me no problem. It is hard packed sand. The beach was a different story. During the winter, the beach will fill in with up to 5 feet of sand, until we have a strong Northerly that strips it all away. Needless to say, this sand is very soft. When I got down there, I was able to go in a straight line just fine, but as soon as I started a turn, I was digging a hole. I was going to get some sand for a brick laying project, but after I saw how easy it would be to get stuck, I decided that $10/yard for sand looked real cheap, rather than getting my tractor stuck with an incoming tide. I'll be interested in watching this post to learn more about tractors on beaches. I would like to use it down there periodically, if I could lower the risk factor.

Greg

/ Something different
An "incoming tide" could compound the problem of being stuck.Not a very pretty situation.