Something I don't understand about applications of below 40hp tractors

/ Something I don't understand about applications of below 40hp tractors #101  
Depending on hard the ground is I have to add some front weight on it. Got bigger tractors, but on smaller garden plots it is handier.

Last edited:
   / Something I don't understand about applications of below 40hp tractors #102  
Pulleys and levers.

It's all pulleys and levers now.

/ Something I don't understand about applications of below 40hp tractors #103  
Well I have no trouble pulling 2-14s with my John Deere 790. Mine is the 27hp version, but I do have filled R1 tires on the back with a loader mounted. Having 3pt makes a lot of difference.

790 plowing_2.jpg

/ Something I don't understand about applications of below 40hp tractors #104  
I read you don't plough with any tractor under 40hp. At least maybe not on a new unworked field. Don't know if that's right, but it is what I have been reading on more than one site.

If you don't have a front loader or a lawn cutting pull behind implement, what do you use them for? For example, I found a good price on a Kubota B6000e. It is only the tractor. I can only cut the grass with it?

Are all the old tractors over 40hp?

Edit:. I read the Kubota was 10.5 hp. My jd L110 is 17.5, but no pto. I don't know what I'd do with the Kubota.
I plowed with a 12 hp Gravely using a Gravely rotary plow. If they made a rotary plow for the 3ph, one could easily plow with a 4wd SCUT or MCUT. I used a soil ripper from an old JD M converted to 3 ph on my 18.5 hp JD 4010 on my garden that had been previously plowed with the rotary plow. Then took off the soil rippers and put 2 opposed discs onto the tool bar and made 20 raised rows.

Can brush hog, mow, wood chip, run box blade and back blade, snow plow or FEL/BB: all with as little as 18.5 hp in 4wd tractors.

/ Something I don't understand about applications of below 40hp tractors #105  
I have a compact 38 hp JD. Tires are filled and equipped with FEL & BB. I am clearing an overgrown field for a driveway - giant shrubs and trees to 6+ in diameter. The job would take a pro with heavy equipment a half day to a day. I have worked it for a few hours most days for a week or so and have made great progress. I have to dig out (piranha bar on FEL) when bigger units can push over. I have also torn up sod with the BB with teeth down. I think you can do most anything with a small tractor if you are careful and work incrementally. I enjoy the experience and am saving money. I use my tractor hard but it is now 10 years old and has never needed maintenance beyond the routine stuff in the manual.

/ Something I don't understand about applications of below 40hp tractors #106  
I grew up with a 7hp Gibson garden tractor, we used to plow with it, single bottom 8 or 10 inch I think. Rope start Wisconsin engine, you hoped would not backfire when you pulled on the starter rope, would about rip your fingers off if it did!