Something New With My Ford Ranger

/ Something New With My Ford Ranger #21  
That's a good possibility, but hitting the horn button could have sent voltage or ground to the sticking relay/controller thereby cycling it.

perhaps.

I've just never had luck resurecting a relay that was having issues. since the are spring loaded either NC or NO ad then overcome by field. that would mean contacts are welding shut OR are sticking against spring pressure.

will be following this thread to see what it turns out to be.

/ Something New With My Ford Ranger
That's a good possibility, but hitting the horn button could have sent voltage or ground to the sticking relay/controller thereby cycling it.

When I said I hit the horn button a couple of times, I didn't explain, but I hit the horn once, and it seemed to make a big difference in the sound, cut it way down, but I didn't hesitate before hitting the button again, so I can't say for absolutely sure that I heard what I think I heard.:laughing:

/ Something New With My Ford Ranger #23  
I had a Toyota truck that did it. It was my fault though. I felt it needed a real horn so I got one out of a early 70's Chevy. The relay stuck while stopped at a light at a busy intersection. Had to drive for 5 minutes with the horn blaring away until i could find a place to pull over and pull the wire off the horn. If there's a relay for your horn I would just replace it.

/ Something New With My Ford Ranger #24  
At least you have a working horn. My son, years ago spilled a bottle of water on the dash of my 1994 ford truck and the electrical system has had ghost every since. No working horn for probably 15 years.

mark

That's what I thought. It was a ghost.

/ Something New With My Ford Ranger #25  
I have a 1996 ranger, a few months back the horn quit on me for only a day, than magically started working again. Hasn't done it since(that i know of anyway). I don't use that truck much any more nor do i test the horn on a regular basis. I have the haynes and chilton manuals for that ranger, if you need, pm me and i could scan those particular pages for you.

/ Something New With My Ford Ranger #26  
My 2004 Dodge Ram started tooting the horn one night but it was toot wait a few minutes, toot, wait a few minute. I remove the battery grounds, yes plural as it is a diesel. I waited a while and remove the wire from the horn button. I need to get a new horn button.

Did they enable the air bag after the repair? On my vehicles I remove the battery cables and wait a while before working on air bag stuff. No disabling but maybe I am working dangerously. If I am thinking I might try to turn on the radio, headlights or any other accessories to drain any capacitors in the electrical system. Again that might be flawed logic.

/ Something New With My Ford Ranger #27  
I have a 1996 ranger, a few months back the horn quit on me for only a day, than magically started working again. Hasn't done it since(that i know of anyway). I don't use that truck much any more nor do i test the horn on a regular basis. I have the haynes and chilton manuals for that ranger, if you need, pm me and i could scan those particular pages for you.

I wass thinking along what your second sentence was about not testing it. My daily driver saturn could have the horn go out for a month and i would not know. i may use it just a few times a year?

/ Something New With My Ford Ranger
I wass thinking along what your second sentence was about not testing it. My daily driver saturn could have the horn go out for a month and i would not know. i may use it just a few times a year?

You may use your horn more than I do.:laughing: The dealer supposedly checks it each year as a part of the state safety inspection program.