Son's new career path, pretty proud father

/ Son's new career path, pretty proud father #111  
Sig,

Awesome that your boy chose to serve. I too, made my decision when I was a kid. I knew early on that I wanted to make the military my career path. I did not have the support from my Dad, so I had to wait until I turned 18 as a Senior in High School to enlist. I came in the Army in 1987, and recently retired just this past March 1, 2023. It was a LONG road for me, starting out as a lowly E1, making it all the way to E9, only to get a two-star to write an exception to policy memo for me, so I could make the jump over to Warrant Officer. I retired as a CW3 promotable.

I like your analogy about 130%... but, why not 140% or 142%? ;)

Me, being a Ranger... we always say this: Never shall I fail my comrades. I will always keep myself mentally alert, physically strong and morally straight and I will shoulder more than my share of the task whatever it may be, one-hundred-percent and then some. (3rd stanza of the Ranger Creed). That way we can't get cornered for not giving 131%... :sneaky:

I'm currently working as a MIL Contractor for the Air Force. Learning a lot from the cultural differences between our two services. I highly respect ANY young person that would step up and choose to serve, especially in today's climate.

I wish him nothing but success in his path. I'm at Shaw AFB (South Carolina) and assigned to HQ 9th Air Force. If he ever finds his way here, I'm standing by to assist in any capacity.

Cheers Mate!

Last edited:
   / Son's new career path, pretty proud father #112  
Sig, congratulations on your son and his path.
Our daughter was in Afghanistan for two tours and served in an intelligence role as adviser to 3 and 4 stars. It served her well and she is now way ahead in her carrier and after time in several countries she now back state side

/ Son's new career path, pretty proud father
I like your analogy about 130%... but, why not 140% or 142%? ;)
At 129%, you're still able to inform others you can't do it, at 130% you're still trying but can't talk, and at 131%, you just collapse and are unconcious😁

I guess the same could go for 101%, 102% and 103%

When training, always set the goal higher;)

Picked the boy up early yesterday.

He surprised me, he told me he misses basic training. I had to remind him two weeks into basic, he wasn't sure if he could make it, but he did. He also told us when we were at his graduation it was the worst and best experience he's ever had (Basic) BUT he never wants to do it again (back in early January).

Now he's telling me he wants to do it again because he misses it LOL

He gets it.

Also surprised me because his Sgt told him he should consider OCS school because he looks like a butterbar. That isn't what surprised me, what surprised me is he would actually want to take college classes to help better his career.

He's also becoming more aware of social media. He never did facebook, but he has his instagram name on his car, and he'll be taking it off. Kid is learning that social media is not your friend and apparently they get a full day class (for all ranks) on Tick Tok. Like I explianed to him, social media is social media for the entire world to see IMO.

Stopped to see his grandmother on the way home for lunch, he got home, right out the door he went because he wants to drive HIS car and see his friends LOL He was apologetic, but I told him our only requirements when he's home is chuch with us, and one dinner with the family. At this point, he's not certain what his hours will be with the recruiter, so the weekends are the only sure time he'll have fun with his buddies.

He told me he knows who his real friends are because they kept texting him in Basic over the holidays even though they knew he couldn't respond. Top it off, they seem like great young kids who have responsibility themselves and are trying to make a living themselves.

/ Son's new career path, pretty proud father #115  
Fantastic!
But what did you expect? He has you as a good example to follow.

Fantastic!
But what did you expect? He has you as a good example to follow.
He followed his grandfather, not me.

Part of the reason why my father and I never got along when I was in my teens was because I was a snot nosed know it all kid who didn't think his father knew what the heck he was talking about. Found out 10 years later on my own that my dad knew what he was talking about.

My son is light years ahead of me when I was his age...

Last edited:
   / Son's new career path, pretty proud father #117  
He followed his grandfather, not me.

Part of the reason why my father and I never got along when I was in my teens was because I was a snot nosed know it all kid who didn't think he father knew what the heck he was talking about. Found out 10 years later on my own that my dad knew what he was talking about.

My son is light years ahead of me when I was his age...

There’s always hope for you. Just keep trying to improve everyday.

One of my favorite sayings is “do the next right thing”.

Try it!

/ Son's new career path, pretty proud father #118  
I'm currently working as a MIL Contractor for the Air Force. Learning a lot from the cultural differences between our two services.

I wish him nothing but success in his path. I'm at Shaw AFB (South Carolina) and assigned to HQ 9th Air Force. If he ever finds his way here, I'm standing by to assist in any capacity.

Cheers Mate!
Brother retired out of Shaw about 5-6 years ago. (O-4). He's at Wright-Patt now double-dipping like you. 😀

Thanks for your service.

Missed the boy dearly while he was gone.

Home for the first week, he's enjoying the life of Riley working for the recruiter and then hanging out with his buddies aftwards. Still has another week to go before he heads out.

Different phase of our lives now, something new...

Although we missed him and prayed for him in this new adventure of his in becoming an adult while he was gone, both my wife and I agree we really can't wait for him to ship out :ROFLMAO: It's easy when they need to rely on you growing up and you make the rules, but when they grow up and have their own lives, it's just too much "work" trying to figure out exactly who is going to be where and when, particularly for dinner and planning for food for the home, if "extra" adults are living with you.

Although my 86 year old father lived with us for 4 years, we never had to figure out if he wasn't eating with us and what time he would be rolling in at night because he was hanging with buddies LOL

Son's first day at the recruiters office, a black male recruit comes in, he looks very familiar to my son, but he can't put his finger on where he knows him from. The guy looks at my sons name on his uniform and asks him if his first name is ******. Turns out hes the older brother of one of my sons best friend who came to his going away party before he shipped out for basic. Son is kind of odd in that most of his friends are not from the local rural high school a half hour away from the largest town, but friends he made at his jobs while in high school working outside the county. I'll give him credit for actually having pretty good friends with a good work ethic.