soon to be first time tractor owner

/ soon to be first time tractor owner #1  

BBel

Tractor
Kioti DKSE K40
I would like to extend a thank you in advance to anyone that helps me through this process of buying my first tractor.
I am a home owner in Lincoln, Maine with 57 acres and a 1/4 mile of hilly dirt road that requires me to purchase tractor to maintain, plow and improve the road. I also plan on using the tractor for firework work and to maintain the grounds.

I am looking into purchasing a 2012 Kubota L3940 with a LA724 loader. This machine is used (if you can call 30 hours used) and still has warranty on it until June 2014. It is a private sale and I am going to look at it tomorrow.
I am in-experienced in tractors and my attempts to have someone with experience come with me have not worked out so it looks like I will be going by myself. The tractor looks to be in great condition but I am wondering if there are things that I should be looking for that would be a red flag. I believe that I am getting a great deal on this tractor as I have quote for a new L3940 from a dealer and this tractor is substantially lower and if this used tractor is in as good condition as it appears to be I should be alright. I have attached pictures of the tractor.
I appreciate any advice or suggestions to insure that I am making the correct decision on this tractor and I again thank you for your help.
00m0m_hsBRZzKIh4M_50x50c.jpg00n0n_lMi9Gp54jkc_50x50c.jpg00v0v_kVEFfcXDHUx_50x50c.jpg

/ soon to be first time tractor owner #2  
Check everything out from front to back and under. The seller should have an implement around. If there is a rotary mower available, have the seller hook it up and then you shouls drive it to check out the PTO. Go through all the Gears. Check the axles and hydraulics. Make sure that the FEL works. BTW, the pictures won't enlarge. Is there no one that you can call to help you> Perhaps a neighbor farmer or someone that owns a tractor? Best wishes. Check the tractor out, just like you would a Possible Wife.

/ soon to be first time tractor owner #3  
:welcome: from Texas!

/ soon to be first time tractor owner #4  
With only 30hrs and still under warranty.....I wouldn't be too worried about anything myself.The L3940 is a very nice tractor by the way.

/ soon to be first time tractor owner
Thank you for the help so far.
Bigger pictures00m0m_hsBRZzKIh4M_600x450.jpg00n0n_lMi9Gp54jkc_600x450.jpg00v0v_kVEFfcXDHUx_600x450.jpgbigger pictures -

/ soon to be first time tractor owner #6  
The Kubota Grand L's are wonderful machines. Ample tractor for your road work. It would be nice to have a few more horsepower, as the cab adds quite a bit of weight, to pull 72" + 84" implements through your fields, but this one will do.

In terms of buying: We are in a strange period as tractors now coming off assembly lines for sale in USA must be compliant with EPA Tier IV emissions strictures. There are a few Tier III compliant tractors in inventory, not many. The Tier iV tractors are generally 20% higher in price. So if this is the tractor you want, buy now.

Used tractor prices are escalating.

I hope you conclude the purchase.

Last edited:
   / soon to be first time tractor owner #7  
Why is he selling a 30 hour machine?

The story I received was because of health reasons, he is 85 and is health is going so he wanted to downsize tractors.

bigger pictures00v0v_kVEFfcXDHUx_600x450.jpg00n0n_lMi9Gp54jkc_600x450.jpg00m0m_hsBRZzKIh4M_600x450.jpg

2012, it still has warranty until June of next year.