Soon to be New MF150 diesel owner

/ Soon to be New MF150 diesel owner #1  

MasseyLady

Bronze Member
Tractor
MF150 Perkins Diesel & MF135 Continental Gas
Hello Gentleman,
Hubby and I are new to this forum, but have been reading with great interest all threads concerning what to look for in buying a good used MF, particularly the MF 150 diesel. Being probably one of the few ladies on here I appreciate all the mechanical knowledge available. Yes I'm one of those gals, that takes interest in how machinery works and not afraid to get my hands dirty and willing to learn what is needed to keep a car, truck and tractor running well. I'm very fortunate to have a hubby that is quite handy in this area and not only turns a wrench so to speak in his line of work but works on his own machinery at our home too.

We are currently looking at a 1967 MF150 diesel with a Massey loader and about 5275 hours. Over all conditions is good, All fluids look great, starts right up with no smoke, no major leaks, weep holes are good, hydraulics good, 3 pt hitch good, but will need new breaks, they seem weak and possible clutch work, because it appears the clutch doesn't disengage the pto when the clutch is put to the floor. The gentleman is asking $4000.00 and we suspect he may take less, because of wanting to clear out his barn for a .....as I look both ways and whisper...."a Kabota".....lol.

Any further input on what to expect on costs for parts and difficulty to repair ( we would like to do the work ourselves) or any other info would be greatly appreciated.

Thank-you, looking forward to all that hubby and I can learn here on TBN

Last edited:
   / Soon to be New MF150 diesel owner #2  
Brakes may just need adjusted, but if axle seals start leaking oil onto shoes will need to stop the leaks. Main clutch freeplay needs checked and set per service manual. If PTO still won't stop may be time for clutch repair as loaders wear the linings faster.

/ Soon to be New MF150 diesel owner
Thank-you DieselTech. I will pass info onto hubby, we really appreciate it and all the knowledgeable guys here on this forum, again thank-you.

/ Soon to be New MF150 diesel owner #4  
First off to you and your husband, welcome to the forum. :thumbsup:

I raised two daughters to know a little about the vehicles they're driving, has proven helpful to them both on occassion.

While the price seems fair considering your description of it's condition, the fact it may require clutch work will help in negotiating the deal, especially if after checking it out you find the clutch needs replacing. It can be pricey if you aren't able to split the tractor yourself.

Thanks Mike476!
Good wisdom indeed, yes we thought that would be a good negotiation point too. I grew up with all brothers and family on both sides farmed, so learning to do most things ourselves was taught. I so appreciate those that do teach their daughters and wives about what to look for, what doesn't sound right, and at the very least know the basics of the machinery they are driving, be it car, truck, tractor or even lawnmower. It saves money in the long run for us gals to know these things before one may ruin an engine or run into bigger repair costs for lack of knowledge on how something runs. Also gives us ladies some insurance to not be taken in and over charged for a repair that is not needed at a repair shop. Thanks again, and for the warm welcome. :)

May we get some further input on possible clutch replacement, particularly in an estimated cost for parts. We realize it depends on where you get them, area and location, etc. Also if it looks to be splitting the tractor, ugh.. what a job, for this weight of tractor what size hoist do you like to use and do you like to use two, one for each half. We have never split a tractor before. Thanks.

/ Soon to be New MF150 diesel owner #7  
Loader and sub frame needs removed before doing a clutch split. 150/165/175 models are easy IF you have a level cement floor. I use 2 tapered wedges above front axle, block up well under oil pan with a heavy bottle jack, block both front wheels from rolling. Use a long rolling floor jack to handle back half. I even leave the hood on but use a chain fall to lift steering wheel and box assy about 1/2 to 1 inch. You may not need a clutch, may just need some adjustments to be tried first. If you like call after 7 PM 574 893 4172, can explain any clutch questions you have. Was MF dealer mechanic in years past, have been in diesel injection since 1976, can talk faster than type.

Diesel Tech, wow! we so appreciate your willingness to help us out and talk us through it, we are so very greatful! We have read a few of your other posts and have gleaned valuable knowledge for sure! :thumbsup:
Your into Diesel injection also? .......hum, hubby may want to talk to you too about a few diesel vehicles we have, one with a possible injector problem, an older Benz.

I'm primary the "gofer" like most wives, go fer parts, go fer groceries, go fer anything hubby may need to repair something. He is so busy with various mechanical projects, so I will probably be the "gofer" for info on this forum too. DieselTech, I'll pass info on to hubby and he very well may call you. First things first, we hope to talk to the gentleman tonight further on the tractor and price. We just wanted to get a heads up so to speak on what we may be getting ourselves into if the tractor does have to be split. This will be our first Massey. We are more familiar with the Farmal M & H and the older Ford 8 & 9 N series, don't own any, but family has them. Thanks!

Just wanted to share that hubby and I are finally new owners of a Massey Ferguson 150! Have been so thankful for members here who have already answered our questions and concerns of what to look for when buying one of these great workhorses. I'm sure we will have further questions and appreciate the knowledge and know how of those who know all about these older Masseys.

Attachments

• MF 150 A.png
    MF 150 A.png
    438.9 KB · Views: 236
   / Soon to be New MF150 diesel owner #10  
Congratulations, looks like it's always been there! :thumbsup:

Keep us posted on how it's worked out for the two of you.