Soon to buy L5030HST??

/ Soon to buy L5030HST?? #1  

ScottOkla

Silver Member
Tractor
Kubota L5030HST, M9000, B7610
I have been reading for a few months now on these forums, and am strongly leaning towards the L5030. I need to buy before the end of October.

Any suggestions or comments about this or similar tractors, options, features, and attachments would be appreciated.

I have a new home on 50 acres. 5 acres will be mowed twice a month near the house, the remaining area is tree-covered and will be mowed 2 or 3 times per year.

I will be removing many trees for firewood and general clearing each year. The trees are mostly in bottom-land (30 acres) that floods once per year and is a bit wet some months. These trees are mostly very mature, but with much brush in some areas. I will be thinning and cleaning yearly. I'm not sure how much this tractor could help with that.

Additionally, I will be developing a large (1 acre) garden, an orchard (2 acres), and an area of improved pecans (5-10 acres) that are just above the bottom-land area.

Additionally, I will want to move this tractor to my father's larger property 40 miles away (rural highway) a few times per year to help with him with some activities not well-suited to his plain but powerful M9000 (such as mowing in wet areas and running smaller pecan equipment). I have a half-ton pickup limited at towing about 7000 lbs according to the manufacturer, along with a nice 10k trailer with slide-out ramps.

All of this makes it difficult to decide on one single tractor. I am leaning towards the L5030 HST because it is powerful enough to run a pecan harvester (35 PTO HP), run a small pecan shaker (1000lbs at 3-pt, requires 35 to 45 PTO), and run a larger brush hog, but is light enough to not do major damage when mowing wet areas in the spring or occasionally in the fall, esp near the house. Plus the HST will make mowing around dozens of acres of trees easier once or twice per year.

I know that is a lot to digest, but I would appreciate comments or suggestions. I few of you (FL_Cracker) for have recently bought this similar machine and your posts have been very helpful already.

Thanks!

/ Soon to buy L5030HST?? #2  
With a FEL and BH the 5030 will be over 6,000 pounds before the weight of the trailer. For the operation you are describing I would suggest a 3/4 ton truck with 27 ft (including 5ft dovetail) gooseneck trailer on 8K axels. You will need the truck and trailer in your land operations anyway. I run a 4630 and the 5030 should be fine for what you are describing. If you are working around trees you may want to not get a cab.

/ Soon to buy L5030HST?? #3  
Welcome to both of you here on TBN! I agree the L5030 should be a good match for your stated tasks... you've got the size and power to do some serious work but it's got a lighter footprint than most 50hp utility tractors so it should do better in the soft stuff. Most everyone who has a 5030 seems to say they are top notch all the way.

I'll also second your caution about having the right equipment to transport such a rig. The dealer and I figured my L4610 with the LA852 loader and 4560 BH is something around 8,000 lbs... your 4630 would probably be similar and a 5030 a bit more.

/ Soon to buy L5030HST?? #4  
If I had to do it over again, I would drop the BH-90 (Backhoe) and get an air conditioned cab. The BH-90 is a great tool, but after I finished my projects, I find it to be the least used piece of equipment I have. Now I want A/C and a cab, this way I will stay cool, dry, and clean! /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Joe

/ Soon to buy L5030HST?? #5  
Scotokla, The L5030HST will do the jobs intended, I know I have one and love it. You have picked the right tractor now lets talk options and accessories.

FEL - LA853 with quick attach, and with a toothbar for popping up the brush and removing the brush. The quick attach will come in handy when you get other attachment like a boom pole, grapple bucket, forks, cement mixer, etc etc....

BH90 - is very useful but not mandatory unless you plan on removing larger trees and stumps. But if you are going to remove a lot of big trees (6"+) get a bulldozer in there for a day and save your tractor. I use mine to dig out mesquite trees here and there. I used to grub them out by hand, now I push the knobs and just smile and smile.. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Canopy - a life saver in the summer and I don't have to worry about breaking the cab glass in the woods. Don't get me wrong, a cab is very nice but I like the noise, dust and heat. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

TOP & Tilt - If you are going to use a box blade the hydraulic controls are so very nice. Make sure to get piloted hydraulic cylinders to reduce leak down.

R4 tires - wider is better - unless you will be operating in gumbo mud.

Grapple- many kinds - an optional and you can add later, just something to think about for moving brush around.

Working the FEL with HST is a blast. I know you will enjoy it.

Just remember for most power use low range and 4WD - you won't stall and you will push/pull till you loose traction. Also remember when you let up on the HST pedal you are like shifting into a lower gear, not reducing the throttle.
/forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

/ Soon to buy L5030HST?? #6  
What is the price on the 5030HST can and non cab models?
If the difference is slight, I would certainly consider the cab...you may need to trim some trees for clearance but the cab is protection from branches and twigs for when you are clearing out the brush in your bottom land 30 acres. And I know you would appreciate the A/C come next July and August /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif.

/ Soon to buy L5030HST?? #7  
I think the cab adds $3,500 to $4,000 in price. Depends on where you live... The BH-90 adds $5,000 to $6,000.

Joe

/ Soon to buy L5030HST??
Thanks for the replies. All of the comments were very helpful.

I will not be getting a backhoe due to expense and weight, and I will not be getting a cab because of expense and the type of work I will be doing under trees in the orchard. I'm afraid I would tear it up quickly. I frequently let lower limbs skid over my ROPS when I mow with the M9000. I'm even leary of the canopy, although it would be great in the summer in open areas.

From reading past posts, I was leaning towards getting 2 or 3 rear remotes, but not the Kubota TnT because of the leak-down cylinder issue. Is this accurate? I will speak to the dealer about other cylinders.

I have a lot of clay to stick in the R4s, but I will go with them to be kinder on the topsoil when mowing. I will NOT load the tires

I could definitely use the grapple and toothbar. PLEASE SUGGEST SOME FOR ME TO CONSIDER! I will be moving lots of cut trees/logs and some other brush.

As far as the weight of the tractor, I thought I could safely move the tractor with loader a few times each year, but maybe not with the box blade or mower attached. My trailer is 16ft and my truck is an F150. Those will not change anytime soon. The highway is rural and mostly flat. Not much traffic at 7:00 Saturday morning.

Thanks again for all the suggestions. If you have any more, please post them. Any comments on what a fair price would be for this L5030HST? I will be visiting a couple of dealers this week.

/ Soon to buy L5030HST?? #9  
ScottOkla, if you ever plan on getting the grapple get three remotes. I have two and will get the third if I ever take it in for service. A good combo for clearing is the FEL with toothbar and a bolt on grapple and a heavy (900#) box blade with TNT.

/ Soon to buy L5030HST?? #10  
I have an L4610HST with R4's and ROPS/ approximately 350 hours of seat time. I added an ATI Quick Attach to the loader and a Long 4in1 bucket. I don't like the 4in1 and quickly bought a Kubota bucket (and have not put the Long bucket back on the tractor since.) In my opinion, the Long bucket is too heavy (tires not loaded) ; however, the Long valving works great with a Piranah root grapple. For clearing, I can cut and dispose of whole 16"-24" trees in 10-15 minutes versus 1 hour without the grapple.

As for towing with a 1/2 ton. I towed with a Ford F150 extended cab and always felt a little squirrelly with a 20' tandem axle/ bumper pull at speeds above 40 MPH. I towed several times without a brake controller and never felt comfortable above 35 MPH for stopping. I now tow on the same trailer with a diesel Excursion and a brake controller and have no problems or concerns towing the tractor with the grapple and a heavy bush hog (approx. 8500 lbs. without the trailer) at highway speeds.

My only complaints with the Kubota are 1. too small of a fuel tank and 2. the paint chips easily, especially on the loader. I have a friend who is familiar with Kubota's paint line in Georgia and indicates that they have had some problems with their wet coating line.

I hope my rambling is of some help.
Evan