Soot on my FEL

/ Soot on my FEL #31  
I took my L5740 to a local shop that had a tube bender. In about an hour they made this piece up for me. Ever since I got this tractor, I have been aggrevated with the soot on the FEL. I think I finally got it fixed. Hopefully the pictures work.

Attachments

• DSCN1640 (2).JPG
    DSCN1640 (2).JPG
    133.3 KB · Views: 390
  • DSCN1641 (2).JPG
    DSCN1641 (2).JPG
    130 KB · Views: 349
  • DSCN1642 (2).JPG
    DSCN1642 (2).JPG
    152.3 KB · Views: 360
   / Soot on my FEL #32  
good idea that soot makes it look like something is wrong with my tractor. I think I will steal your idea.

/ Soot on my FEL #33  
Aren't you going to have soot on your step now? What about smoke in your face since its so close to the operator's station?

Just curious.

/ Soot on my FEL #34  
Aren't you going to have soot on your step now? What about smoke in your face since its so close to the operator's station?

Just curious.

No smoke in my face, as it blows down and out. It is just below the step also, so no soot there.

I could have taken it straight back out the back, but I like to see it smoke when it works, so all I have to do is look down now.

I have a lot of bush hogging to do in the next couple weeks so I can share an update then. As cheep as it was, if I have to redo it it won't be too bad. Why Kubota did it like they did is simply beyond me. That must have been a Monday morning design.

/ Soot on my FEL #35  
Hmm; I recall my little Kubota B7100 spent 3000 hours sooting up the loader. Didn't seem to harm it any!:)

/ Soot on my FEL #36  
Paul,

Looks like the engineers have been reading your posts! I'm getting ready to do an exhaust mod and was dreading having to drill my frame for the support bracket. To my surprise, there were already 3 pre-drilled holes to choose from. I guess you must have inspired somebody at Kubota engineering! See photo!

Attachments

• Exhaust.jpg
    Exhaust.jpg
    457.8 KB · Views: 307
   / Soot on my FEL
Paul,

Looks like the engineers have been reading your posts! I'm getting ready to do an exhaust mod and was dreading having to drill my frame for the support bracket. To my surprise, there were already 3 pre-drilled holes to choose from. I guess you must have inspired somebody at Kubota engineering! See photo!

Thomas it's funny you said that. When the Kubota road show came to town a few months ago I was introduced to the guys running the show and they told me hat my threads posted here and other places including my Youtube vids have been emailed around the kubota world. The one question that they did specifically did ask was how I got the reverse beeper to work. I gave them the related threads and they told me they need to make a kit for the beeper because they have many requests for it.

As for the holes in the tractor. Mine had one and that's the very one I used. All that being said IF I never had the cab model I wouldn't use this design because you will get fumes coming back at you. I would go with a stack or go the way I did but follow right out to the back of the machine with a tail pipe. Just my 2 cents worth.

Attachments

• exhaust turn down.jpg
    exhaust turn down.jpg
    368.7 KB · Views: 198
   / Soot on my FEL #38  
Paul- I just stumbled across this thread, and although it's a little late now, you might find this interesting info: one of my brothers has a turbo prop plane, and the jet exhaust on both sides was a nuisance, for sure. A mechanic buddy of his turned him onto a protective coating, wax, whatever you want to call it, named ReJex that's made for such apps. I helped him apply it, and when I saw the bottle start sliding off a barely (almost level!) tilted wing surface, I got impressed. I got a bottle, and it seems to work really well for my cars. Not as well as avoiding the problem to start with, but maybe it would have other uses for you? The picture might be hard to see, but there is a big exhaust on each side, behind the prop. The black streak used to go down the whole side, and now that it's Rejex'ed, hardly anything, and it cleans right off, whereas before it was hard to polish off.
Flying can be expensive- he got hit by lightning over Florida, and it took 8a while and well over $140,000 to get the plane back in the air (new prop, engine service, avionics, you name it had to be checked, replaced, etc.) I wonder if his insurance will go up?

Attachments

• P1000087.JPG
    P1000087.JPG
    716.1 KB · Views: 163
   / Soot on my FEL
Paul- I just stumbled across this thread, and although it's a little late now, you might find this interesting info: one of my brothers has a turbo prop plane, and the jet exhaust on both sides was a nuisance, for sure. A mechanic buddy of his turned him onto a protective coating, wax, whatever you want to call it, named ReJex that's made for such apps. I helped him apply it, and when I saw the bottle start sliding off a barely (almost level!) tilted wing surface, I got impressed. I got a bottle, and it seems to work really well for my cars. Not as well as avoiding the problem to start with, but maybe it would have other uses for you? The picture might be hard to see, but there is a big exhaust on each side, behind the prop. The black streak used to go down the whole side, and now that it's Rejex'ed, hardly anything, and it cleans right off, whereas before it was hard to polish off.
Flying can be expensive- he got hit by lightning over Florida, and it took 8a while and well over $140,000 to get the plane back in the air (new prop, engine service, avionics, you name it had to be checked, replaced, etc.) I wonder if his insurance will go up?

Thanks Varment for that info. I can sure use that. I got a couple of ideas for that. Man I didn't think lightening could cause that much grief on an aircraft. Sorry to hear that. Beautiful plane and car. Really appreciate the tip as well. Thanks, Paul