Sorry more GC2300 questions

/ Sorry more GC2300 questions #1  

chrisKy

Hi all,

First off let me say that I am still considering a GC2300. Right now this is the only tractor in my price range. So it's either this tractor or no tractor. Now I do not want to buy a specific tractor just because it's in my price range. I want a tractor that can do what I want. Which is where I need your help.

I will be doing mostly mowing, Finish/Rough. But also loader work.
My first question is about ground clearence. will 6" be enough. I'm thinking that for the most part anything that is taller than 6" I can move with the FEL. rocks sticks ect. And I also need to cross 2 or 3 small diches maby 6"-8" deep. my atv crosses them no prob. But I'm also thinking if I need to I can just smooth them out with the FEL.
My second question is. Not just specs. how much can the loader handle. I need to move those piles of dirt in the front in the pic. Those piles are compact dirt and have been there for years. will the loader be able to dig in and spread those piles? (they are bigger than they look in the pic)
my last question is how high can the 3 point hitch raise a bush hog or any implement for that matter.
Thanks for any info in advance.

Attachments

• 495968-DSCF0001.JPG
    495968-DSCF0001.JPG
    70.3 KB · Views: 462
   / Sorry more GC2300 questions #2  
Chris,

I was considering the GC2300, but went with another tractor. A friend brought his small Kubota to our hunting cabin. We used the tractor to plow a small section in the field across the creek. We had a time getting the tractor up the creek bank becasue the plow kept getting stuck. The Kubota was the same size as the GC2300. I also have similar terrain at my house, so I went with a TC30.

My suggestion is to ask the dealer to allow you to drive the tractor at your property. You will know within a few minutes if you are going to have problems. Also look at the price difference between the 1428v and the GC2300. Money is always a consideration for me, but another $2,000 got me a larger tractor.

Good Luck!

/ Sorry more GC2300 questions #3  
Chris, I surmise that you are talking about 6" ground clearance with MMM on or is that with MMM of ? I don't think 6" is enough ground clearance for loader work on a bank. When driving over your just dug furrows or dumped dirt to drag the loader backward in smoothing it out you dont want to drag anything other than the blade. The tractor is a good tractor, but it does have it's limitations .
Weight being another one of those limits along with the clearance . You need weight to dig in with a loader although a toothbar would help in that area.
The loader should be able to handle a full load of loose dirt but I wouldn't expect it too break into compacted dirt like a bulldozer and lift it. My 1433v wont lift up if it gets under a good sized root ,but curling the bucket does give a good bit of leverage in effort to bust the root ,but if its too big forget it.
On the 3ph lift height question ,Depending on how tight you make your top link your height will increase according.If you are concerned about going through a ditch with bushog on will it dig in when your rear wheels hit the bottom of the ditch? Probably hopefully you wouldn't get stuck. But that's why you have 4wd...I dunno think it through carefully,I can't spend your money ,but IMHO it would be easier to have more tractor (or enough)than you need than be ticked off because you don't have enough tractor to do the job/forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

/ Sorry more GC2300 questions #4  
Chris, I have the GC2300 and have been quite pleased with it. It does however, have some limitations. I use mine mostly for mowing & blowing snow. It does both tasks admirably.

You ask whether the 6 inches clearance is a problem. That probably depends on what you're trying to clear. I had my tractor in the woods the other day and was pretty attentive to clearance issues, but didn't have any problems. Vigilance is probably key here because it certainly wouldn't take much for a problem.

As for crossing the ditch on your property, I would guess that your problem would be proportional to what 3PH implement you're toting around. As you cross a ditch, the front end of your tractor will go up and the rear end will go down. I have had some "issues" with dragging implements where I didn't want to. I think this is one of the limitations when they say the subcompacts have "limited Cat I".

I have moved a bunch of rock with my FEL, filling it full with 6-8"+ rocks and haven't had a problem. I haven't done a lot of digging into compacted piles so I can't give you direct experiences with that. I am closing in on a toothbar to do some clearing across from the house but no experience with that yet. I think the FEL does a good job for this sized tractor, but don't expect more out of it than it's realistically designed for.

If you check my other posts you can read more about my experiences with the GC2300 and assorted implements. One thing to keep in mind (listed in posts, but I'll reiterate here) is that the 3PH has no position control. If that's important to you, consider this carefully BEFORE you buy.

Good luck to you!

/ Sorry more GC2300 questions
Thanks again for all your responses.
I guess I should have elaborated more. The clearence issue was without the mmm, I will be brush hoging without that attached. I mostly was worried about the front end nosediving in the dirt and getting stuck. But I test drove It yesterday and told the dealer my consern. He had a huge ditch very steep behind the dealership. and told me to go ahead and drive in it. I did and the tracor didn't miss a beat went right through. no prob. both ways.

Now my question about the loader was more of a reasurence issue. I have operated a bobcat at my old job with a tree company. I know what the loader can and can't do on a skid steer. I also know what a buldozer can and can't do. I have seen a 12" stump stop a buldozer dead in its tracks. I was more looking along the lines of will this loader be able to hande digging the same way any loader does. just on a smaller scale. Am I going to hit a 100 lb. rock and not be able to move it ect.

What is position control and why would I want it?
thanks again,
Chris

/ Sorry more GC2300 questions #6  
Chris, The loader lift capacity is approx. 470 @ full height so lift cap is probably 600 or so.
Position control is when you want to raise or lower 3PH you simply slide the control up or down and the 3PH moves,Without that the 3PH control lever returns to the center when you release lever. I believe this is what you have without position control /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif Your dealer should be able to give you a sales brochure that would answer a lot of questions as to specifications

/ Sorry more GC2300 questions #7  
I HAVE A TLB 2300 and I realy like mine the only problm
so far has been forward and re verse sticks and I had to lenghten the set belt /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif
100 hrs al rdy

/ Sorry more GC2300 questions #8  
Chris, I may have used the term incorrectly, but what I was referring to as a lack of position control means that you cannot "set" a depth for your 3PH implement except by eye. On some tractors, you can "lock in" a given depth and always return to it when you lower your implement. On the GC2300, you have to set the depth with your 3PH lever by eye. When you raise the implement, you have to eyeball your depth again when you lower it instead of having a set depth you can return to. Clear as mud?? Feel free to PM me if you have any questions for me.

/ Sorry more GC2300 questions
Thanks everyone for all the good info.
I ended up getting a ford 600. That is in very good condition. I got a good price and couldnt turn it down. Just about everything I wanted to do with a loader. I have already done with just the grader blade. I think the only thing I'll miss is the mmm. But I can always get a 5' rear finish mower if I want. I have brush cut about 10-15 acres and couldnt be happier. Its so nice to be above the blackberry bushes for once. /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif
Also my neihbor has the same tractor, And he has rebuilt his so if I every need to fix it I wont have to go far for help.
I hope I'm not shuned now by you all because I'm a ford owner /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif
chris

/ Sorry more GC2300 questions #10  
TURNCOAT!!!! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gifjust kidding glad you got a good deal, afterall ....We all have work to do it really doesn't matter what color your tool is, does it? /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif