Sorry, one more grease question for the loader

/ Sorry, one more grease question for the loader #11  
   / Sorry, one more grease question for the loader #12  

I've been using it for a couple yrs now on my BX23. It lubes the FEL, BH, MMM & treadle pedal w/no known ill effects.
It sticks to any and everything it touches and seems to stay put quite well. I grease every 10 hrs on the hr meter no matter the actual usage (except the BH which gets greased before each use).
The older grease that gets pushed out is somewhat discolored, darker than the bright red when fresh and is hardened somewhat but it is still tacky and slick.
We tried to get more info on it (in another grease thread here) but Travellers considers it's makeup as a trade secret, even says it on the tubes, so the specific makeup is a mystery......
I avg approx 100 hrs per yr so it works OK in my home owner / estate type applications.
I'm not against going w/a known Moly additive type grease but only if the price is comparable as this grease seems to be fine.

/ Sorry, one more grease question for the loader #13  
I like the products from Texas Refinery Corporation myself, even though I have used only their engine oils and a couple of their greases. A friend sells TRC in his garage and I get to see LOTS of the results from the oil analyses that get done every time he does an oil change for a customer, and some of his customers are in the 120,000 km range between oil changes in their highway tractors. I also have seen the results for other brands of oils, and those range from acceptable to downright scary! I do know one customer of his went from having to grease the pivot points on his large wheel loader (bucket and lift arm ones) every 2 hours to once every 8 hours. (They would squeak otherwise). For the price of the TRC grease, it was by far the better bang for the buck. If you have any interest in more information about this stuff, go to Texas Refinery Corp. Quality Lubricants, Specialty Roof Coatings and Property Maintenance, click on QUALITY LUBRICANTS on the left hand side, then select "880 Crown and Chassis", click on "Go Get It!" and scroll to the very bottom of the page to find the link to the specifications for it. I like to say these are the second best lubricants I have ever found, simply because I am still waiting to find the best! And NO! I have no interests in TRC other than wanting to bring an excellent quality product to the attention of others since I have never ever seen an advertisement for TRC anywhere.

/ Sorry, one more grease question for the loader #14  
I use a non-Moly grease even though I know the Moly additive would give better wear protection. The problem is that the Moly grease is black and hard to clean off household fabrics.

In my homeowner/estate use I will just accept extra wear on the pins and bushings if I forget to grease. The cost of new bushings is lower than the cost of new carpets if I track Moly grease in the house on my feet.

/ Sorry, one more grease question for the loader #15  
You may want to take a look at the Hydrotex products... We used their teflon grease in our heavy equipment, on the pins. Great stuff..!! You could not beat it out of those pins. We ripped a lot of shale for fill, then loaded it on trucks. Many a day I've ripped, and loaded for 10 hrs. of operating time.

We did grease once a day, and never once had any problems. Just a couple shots per pin, and you knew you were good to go.

Two things to note about it though... When pulling the gun off a zerk, if you didn't have your rag over the end, it will "ribbon", and get on your clothes... Second, in the winter, we laid our grease guns in a box, on the passenger side floor, near the heater to keep it warm.. It pumps hard in the cold..!! Always tried to have a spare tube in the box too, keeping it warm.

I bought a box of 10 tubes myself to use around the farm. That's been 10 years ago, and still have 4 tubes left. That's how far it goes. Granted, it is just used on pins/hinge points, but lasts a long time..

Here is a link to a retailer/dealer search if you care to look.

Hydrotex® - Contact Us - Find a Represenitive

Maybe buy a box, and split it between your buddies, or maybe the dealer will sell you just a tube to try it.

Again..., it's not cheap, but sure lasts, and does the job..!!

/ Sorry, one more grease question for the loader #16  
The cost of new bushings is lower than the cost of new carpets if I track Moly grease in the house on my feet.

Dave I don't know why you're worried about the replacing the carpets. You'll won't live long enough to see the bill come in. Your wife will drop you on the spot. :)

/ Sorry, one more grease question for the loader #17  
DJ54: If the grease "ribbons out" after you grease the fitting that is an indication that the grease is too thick for the clearances of the pins. All greases come in different NLGI weights for just that reason. You would be better served to use a thinner NLGI weight to get an easier more complete flow of grease into the joint. Your grease may be NLGI 3 which is very difficult to pump.

A lot of machine operators even use NLGI 2 during warm months and switch to NLGI 1 for the winter.

/ Sorry, one more grease question for the loader #18  
I meant it "strings" off the end of the gun, not back out of the fitting... Definitely tacky/stringy stuff..!!

A few years before, we used Bearingard, a fibered grease made by Standard Oil. Apparently when BP bought them out, that was the end of that grease... Great stuff too..

Being it was a government entity I worked for, they bought the cheapest grease that met minimum specs for a while... We were greasing every 4 hours or less... On hot days, that stuff would actually drip on the ground. Purchasing was wondering why we were going through so much grease... Finally got it through their heads what was going on... Had a Rep. from Hydrotex come in, and gave us a couple cases of 10 to try... Used it after that...

I'd imagine you're right on the cold temps... But again..., being it was a gov't facility, we used what we had, for fear they would stop buying it...

/ Sorry, one more grease question for the loader #19  
Ah yes, tacky and stringy is just what you want! Sounds like that is an excellent grease!

/ Sorry, one more grease question for the loader #20  
I just use the cheapest stuff I can find in the Farm Supply place :D

Use gobs of it and have seemingly never had a problem in the last 25 years.

At the contractors where I work they have hundreds of thousands of ?? worth of kit, and we just use whatever grease we have to hand. Just make sure you grease regularly, lots of cheap grease is better than too little expensive grease.