Sound proofing HVAC return duct

/ Sound proofing HVAC return duct #11  
picture of the air return?

with others, the air velocity. a wider opening could help.

/ Sound proofing HVAC return duct
Yeah, can you put another return elsewhere in the house?

Yes and No I suppose. I really only have one spot that may work but I was looking for another solution instead cutting into floor and ceiling. Since you guys aren't showing much love for the liner, I may tear open the existing chase so all the return duct can be changed. I was trying to be cost effective, but I'm wondering........

/ Sound proofing HVAC return duct
picture of the air return?

with others, the air velocity. a wider opening could help.

What part of the return do what a picture of?

The opening is going to be enlarged but the duct inside the wall will remain the same, that is if I decide not to tear open the wall to replace. I think with my initial plan, there will be some improvement, I just don't know how much.

/ Sound proofing HVAC return duct #14  
Try installing a different brand of grill. We have noted that certain grills tend to be quite noisy due to the turbulence they create. You can determine this by just removing the grill and see if the noise stops.

/ Sound proofing HVAC return duct #15  
This liner goes inside the duct and is for acoustic purposes no insulating effect. I've seen the rubber boot connectors, I actually have one on one section of the duct. This liner is supposed to dampen the continuous "whoosh" sound as apparently even though its only air rushing through, the duct amplifies the sound. I've also tried different fan speeds, LOW/MED and MED/HIGH, only 2 speeds and there isn't much difference between the two.

I'm tired of having to keep turning up the volume to the TV when air is on and turning it down when its stops. I've researched the liner a bit and from what I've read it helps. HVAC tech says it will definitely help, but how much to your liking won't be determined until its installed. So in short we are enlarging what we can and can get to before tearing holes in walls or cutting holes in the floor and ceiling for a new located return.

Your air is loud cause your return is too small.

Last edited: