Sound Proofing

/ Sound Proofing #1  

Mike_VT

Silver Member
Tractor
Kubota L4740 HSTC
I have a L4740 HSTC and wondering if anyone has soundproofed their cab. I am thinking of putting insulation in the roof and putting some sound dampening material on the under side of the cab/tractor, specifically in the area of the seat pan and right under where the floor is. If anyone has accomplished this sucessfully I would like to hear what you have done and if you think it has lowered the db or sound reverb. Thanks. Mike

/ Sound Proofing #2  
There is a product called "Dynamat" that I use in hot rod situations and the result is astounding. I line the entire car and use a floor product for that. It ain't cheap but the difference it makes is so dramatic I just pony up and pay it. Best price is at Speedway Motors. There are knockoffs and some are OK but steer clear of the jute suff. It shreds off in layers.

/ Sound Proofing
Thanks i appreciate the info. In was thinking along those lines, but thought someone would have some real life experience to share.

Mike

/ Sound Proofing #4  
Thanks i appreciate the info. In was thinking along those lines, but thought someone would have some real life experience to share.

Mike

It works very well..Figure that many muscle cars are running around with headers right under your feet with low restriction 2.5" and up ehaust...We're talking alot of noise there..Dynamat deadens it better than anything else. ..Diesels are loud, but so are built big blocks.

/ Sound Proofing #5  
The best place for soundproofing is right at your ears. Cheap, too.

/ Sound Proofing
sure thing!

/ Sound Proofing #8  
I've been wondering about the same thing. Floor is good - starting out with a thin rubber layer, then 2 density foam intended to absorb different frequency ranges, topped off by the molded urethane top. The rest sucks. There is a thin rubber grommet where the steering shaft goes into the engine compartment - on mine the grommet doesn't completely cover the hole and it pops out of place providing a direct sound path. The seat pan - nothing. After using good technology to dampen noise through the floor mat they seem to totally ignore that area. Its better than the open platform but can't hold a candle to our larger tractors.

/ Sound Proofing #9  
rsewill said:
The best place for soundproofing is right at your ears. Cheap, too.

To elaborate a bit. I am a retired truck driver. The main truck I drove seemed quiet but after an 11 hour day I had times when I could barely hear. Probably high or low pitched noises I could not detect. I couldn't legally wear ear protection but did anyway, wearing ear plugs and, after dark, noise canceling ear phones over the ear plugs. Fortunately most of my driving was across South Dakota and Wyoming on I-90 at night so very, very little traffic.

/ Sound Proofing #10  
I have a L4740 HSTC and wondering if anyone has soundproofed their cab. I am thinking of putting insulation in the roof and putting some sound dampening material on the under side of the cab/tractor, specifically in the area of the seat pan and right under where the floor is. If anyone has accomplished this sucessfully I would like to hear what you have done and if you think it has lowered the db or sound reverb. Thanks. Mike

when I added a aluminum topper to my rops onmy ford 5000 I put in chipboard on the side facing me, and paint/sealed it. it really, really helped the sound, and was similar in setup to the one onmy 7610s.

when I made one for my 4600 patterned off the 5000, I use dthe blue foam insulation sheet/board from lowes.. rmax.. with no foil liner. that helped too..

good luck!