Source for long/short block diesel engines?

/ Source for long/short block diesel engines? #1  

AKfish

Tractor
JD 5115M; JD 110 TLB; JD 4720; Ford 9N; JD X300R
I've got a lead on a 1965 JD 1010 diesel 2WD tractor. It's been sittin' in the front yard for more than 10 years (sometimes covered with a tarp; sometimes not). Owner says it used to run great until he loaned it to a friend (10+yearsago) and they trashed the injector pump (he's no mechanic.. that's what he was told by the fellow who borrowed the tractor). Long story short; he asked the dealer how much to replace pump -- they said $900 for pump. A few hours labor and transport fees. He decided to "tarp it"! I'm wondering if anyone knows of a reputable outfit that deals in parts all the way to complete engines. Thanks for any and all recommendations. AKfish

/ Source for long/short block diesel engines? #2  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( I'm wondering if anyone knows of a reputable outfit that deals in parts all the way to complete engines. Thanks for any and all recommendations. AKfish )</font>

#1, John Deere (dealer) Then on to Valu-Bilt.

/ Source for long/short block diesel engines?
Appreciate the info. The local dealer has a good mechanic who restores old JD tractors in his spare time. And he don't mind sharing what he's learned over the years -- so, I do try and check with him about anything that's got me stumped. But, this forum offers a resource that sure can't be duplicated in ol' backwater Alaska!!! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif AKfish

/ Source for long/short block diesel engines? #4  
Sherlock Holmes here...! I COMPLETELY missed the fact that you're in Alaska. I'd about bet tractor dealers are a little "thin" up that way. Never been there (yet) so I don't know that for a fact.

I'll dig a little deeper when I get home, but try a search for "Abilene Machine" or "Abilene Tractor Parts" (Abelene SOMETHING anyway) (Not real sure of spelling of "Abilene) They're a multi-brand tractor salvage yard. From what I know of them, if they don't have it, you ain't gonna find it. They ship all over the world.

Also, try Wengers of Meyerstown, PA.

Good luck.

/ Source for long/short block diesel engines? #5  
What part of Alaska? The larger centers are sure to have facilities to handle engines and rebuilds.

Egon

/ Source for long/short block diesel engines?
Thanks for the other "leads". I'm on the road system, (there's only 2 main roads in the whole state...) south of Anchorage about 165 miles. The main hwy to Anch was closed twice this past week as a result of avalanches. I haven't been north to Anch since this past fall --- Oct. 31. I tend to hunker down 'til Spring usually. Short daylight, ice, MOOSE.... /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif
But we're a captive market here for the ONE JD dealer in the state. They don't "deal" as much as try to dictate. So... ya' gotta sharpen your pencil for the big ticket things and when the weather's good and the days are long --- ya' move on down the hill and come back with what you need.
Then, the next time you stop in the dealership --- they understand that you "say what you mean and mean what you say"! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif AKfish

/ Source for long/short block diesel engines? #7  
Try Ebay or some of the Farm equipment places on the net.

/ Source for long/short block diesel engines? #8  
Only a 165 miles?? Gosh isn't that just a morning coffee drive in Texas?? /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Isolation and parts will require much foresight and a very sharp pencil.

I'd suggest starting to look on the net for dealers/suppliers in the Vancouver/Seatle area for quick freight/barge access. You may have to resort to the yellow pages.

A digital camera may be handy for ordering some items.

Surely wish I could be of more help but your location and specific needs limits the allowable options unless the pockets are very very deep.

Egon

/ Source for long/short block diesel engines? #9  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">(
Only a 165 miles?? Gosh isn't that just a morning coffee drive in Texas?? /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif
)</font>
you haven't been there I take it ... now that the cruise ships have come into sewward, the road is very nice, before that, uggh.

I grew up in anchorage, spent many trips down to seward/soldotna/homer ...

I'm guessing the 165 miles is soldotna?

</font><font color="blue" class="small">( quick freight/barge access.
)</font>
buhahahaha ... quick meaning 6-8 weeks.

</font><font color="blue" class="small">(
Surely wish I could be of more help but your location and specific needs limits the allowable options unless the pockets are very very deep.
)</font>
Wish I could be of more help too ... I usually make a trip from WA to soldotna every year for the reds (maybe this year seward for silvers). I'm "empty" going up so if I can haul something up in "checked baggage" let me know ...

/ Source for long/short block diesel engines? #10  
I have a JD 350 same engine as the 1010 I believe: 3 cyl 40 hp diesel. I had the injector pump fail a couple seasons ago symptoms were start easy run a few minutes & stall.

A quick visual is take off the pump timing cover rectangular cover held on by 2 screws & look for mouse turds. Those are the remnants of the pump plastic governor. Common failure.

Pump removal is simple go around to other side of engine & find the guide pin stud unscrew from engine & hold pin end in flywheel unthreaded housing hole, rotate (by hand) engine & pin will drop into hole in flywheel. This gets you TDC for timing. Check by looking for two scribed lines in the pump timing cover above. If only 1 line rotate engine another 180 deg.

Once your at TDC unbolt injector lines and fuel line, tie the throttle arm back, and unbolt injector pump.

I took mine to a local diesel engine injector shop $500 and it came back looking new.

Most tractor & truck shops subcontract out the injector pumps because of the specialized tooling involved. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif