South African TBNers?

/ South African TBNers? #1  

OldMcDonald

Platinum Member
Tractor
None
Are there any TBN members in South Africa?

I know it is basically a USA site, but also have seen posts by people from various other countries. The link at the end is to the website for the sale of my small farm and I have been told by several people originally from SA that many who are still there would like to move. My question for any SA members is - where would you advertise such a property in SA?

I have placed ads in the SA Farmers' Weekly earlier in the year and had some good responses, but people are reluctant to travel because of Covid. I still receive the occasional viewing of the site from SA, including one yesterday despite us having ceased all advertising due to the unwillingness of people travelling just to view a possible purchase. I have a list of regional and national newspapers, but of course all claim to be the place to advertise.

Any suggestions gratefully received.

/ South African TBNers? #2  
Are there any TBN members in South Africa?

I know it is basically a USA site, but also have seen posts by people from various other countries. The link at the end is to the website for the sale of my small farm and I have been told by several people originally from SA that many who are still there would like to move. My question for any SA members is - where would you advertise such a property in SA?

I have placed ads in the SA Farmers' Weekly earlier in the year and had some good responses, but people are reluctant to travel because of Covid. I still receive the occasional viewing of the site from SA, including one yesterday despite us having ceased all advertising due to the unwillingness of people travelling just to view a possible purchase. I have a list of regional and national newspapers, but of course all claim to be the place to advertise.

Any suggestions gratefully received.

Sorry I don't have any useful suggestions, but did have the following observation: The land and buildings are very different from what I am used to; and the thought occurred to me that it would be very enlightening to see a video of the property taken from a drone, and perhaps even the town and the surrounding area...and who knows, it might give some of those reluctant to travel an incentive.

/ South African TBNers? #3  
I belong to several Facebook South African hunting groups and I've found that the people there are very helpful on a variety of topics. From what I understand, the current government there has really hurt property values and the big buyers are Russia, China and India. The small landowners are moving away, with a lot of them leaving the country.

/ South African TBNers?
Sorry I don't have any useful suggestions, but did have the following observation: The land and buildings are very different from what I am used to; and the thought occurred to me that it would be very enlightening to see a video of the property taken from a drone, and perhaps even the town and the surrounding area...and who knows, it might give some of those reluctant to travel an incentive.

There is a link to the Google satellite images. Zoom in as much as you want, or out to see what is around about and zoom in on that if it interests you. There is no town, at least not for 10 miles, but there are some small villages. All easily seen on the satellite view.

We may be doing a video, but Covid restrictions are a problem. It had originally been lined up for this coming week, but is now off until at least Christma.

/ South African TBNers?
I belong to several Facebook South African hunting groups and I've found that the people there are very helpful on a variety of topics. From what I understand, the current government there has really hurt property values and the big buyers are Russia, China and India. The small landowners are moving away, with a lot of them leaving the country.

Yes, I am told too that property values are down, but they are still a lot more than here in Portugal for similar houses and land area. The fact that small landowners do want to move away and that they can exchange theirs for here and have a lot left over was the reason for my OP.

EDIT: An afterthought - maybe half an hour after posting. I have ads on internet sites where I will pay 2% of the sale price to the site host if they introduce the buyer. I would be delighted to pay you (or any other TBN member) that same 2% if you introduce the buyer to me. You have the contacts via the forums in SA, so if you can introduce the buyer I will happily gift you 2% of the sale. How you ensure that anyone tells me they found out about the property through you is relying on honesty of those involved. All I can say is that I expect to pay somebody 2% and will do so. We have already picked out our retirement bungalow but feel it is likely to be sold before we can buy. It is on the Ilha do Pico, Azores and about 300 yards from the sea. It is 30 years since I last had the chance to do some decent sea fishing.

Last edited: