South Georgia Tobacco Patch -- Growing Backer on the Wiregrass Plain

/ South Georgia Tobacco Patch -- Growing Backer on the Wiregrass Plain #12  
Dan,

Burley production in NC was confined to Western NC counties prior to the tobacco buyout and the end of the quota system. Growers are now free to produce whatever type of tobacco wherever they wish. Of course, they are not guaranteed buyers.

I have seen some burley production in Iredell County, a traditional flue-cured area.

Steve

NC growing seems to be regional. Well I guess it always has been even in KY. I know I was surprised when I saw the tobacco barns in NC since they were so different from KY. All of the barns I see in my area and down east around my wife's family were for flue curing. West of us I have seen both type of barns.

Now a days I have seen very limited tobacco growing in our area or around the wife's family. I saw one field with tobacco a few years ago but nothing since. That field use to grow every year. I did see a large crop south west of us last year. On the wife's family land, they grew tobacco a few years back and it was really different. They used metal pallets to hold the tobacco. It seems like they had black cloth shading the tobacco as well. The pallets had been moved to one area of the field and I assumed they did this to move the tobacco off for drying. Putting the tobacco in the pallets sure made it easy to move especially if all they were going to do was to show the pallets into a kiln.

I sure do not miss stacking that stuff. :D

Later,
Dan

/ South Georgia Tobacco Patch -- Growing Backer on the Wiregrass Plain #13