SouthernPasture Grasses - Coastal or Giant Burmuda

/ SouthernPasture Grasses - Coastal or Giant Burmuda #11  
I'm about 100 miles from both of you guys up here in North Texas. Gonna be passing by Bird's neck of the woods on my way to beautiful Fredericksburg next weekend.

I didn't know it ever rained west of Fort Worth.

/ SouthernPasture Grasses - Coastal or Giant Burmuda #12  
Yeah, Alan, I really like that country down around Fredericksburg and Kerrville, but haven't been down there in several years. You'll be passing quite a ways west of me, but I'd sure be glad for you to come on by for coffee, beer, or something anytime.

Bird

/ SouthernPasture Grasses - Coastal or Giant Burmuda #13  
I go to Fredericksburg all the time and would love to stop by for refreshments, but the Fredericksburg I go to is still a couple thousand miles from you, I think. /w3tcompact/icons/frown.gif

/ SouthernPasture Grasses - Coastal or Giant Burmuda #14  
I've been to that one, too, Mark while I was spending 10 weeks at the FBI Academy at Quantico in '86. Very interesting town, and pretty country around there, too.

Bird

/ SouthernPasture Grasses - Coastal or Giant Burmuda
Should receive the new tiller tines that were broken tomorrow. We got a good rain (1 inch) /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif and should be able to re-till the 7 acres (14 more hours on tractor) this weekend and be ready to plant Coastal the following week.

If the coastal does not take hold, then I will follow up with the Giant Bermuda from seed. Prefer the Coastal Bermuda, but information on the Giant Bermuda is pretty hard to come by and it may be just as good.

DROUGHT - DROUGHT - DROUGHT

Well it has been 12 days since a one inch rain. Re tilled the 7 acres. Broke 5 more tiller tines (with the slip clutch working). The soil is now tilled to about 6-8 inches deep. Still need one more rain before sprigging the coastal bermuda.

How much moisture in the soil is required before or after sprigging coastal to keep it alive?

The guy who was going to sprig the coastal for me lost his source of sprigs and backed out of the deal.

Found another guy to do it, but his field has to dry a couple of days before he can dig them.

The local feed store has agreed to mix a blend of 15-15-15 fertilizer with Giant Bermuda Grass Seed. They loan you to trailer to spread the fertilizer for free so I will probably wait for the sprigging to be finished and then overseed it with the Giant Bermuda when I spread about 1500 pounds of fertilizer. Will probably use a piece of chain link fence as I don't have a harrow to level after the sprigging. Guess a 4x8 8 ft long would work ok too.

Has anyone used or seen one of these spreaders. Wonder how they work?