Speaking of down pressure

/ Speaking of down pressure #1  

DFW

Bronze Member
Tractor
Task Master 432E
I just read the other post on down pressure for the 3ph, however my question is down pressure on a FEL. I need to expand some of my fencing which will require about 30 t-posts. Since injuring my shoulder recently /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif, I doubt I could even get a post-pounder up on a 6' t-post much less pound it. Has anyone ever tried 'pushing' t-posts into the ground with the FEL? I would add some weight to the FEL like a couple of bags of concrete in the bucket. I suppose there are implements out there that I could buy, but for 30 t-posts, I can't see the economics of that, never mind the CFO's reaction. /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif And besides, this is the last (expletive deleted) fencing I will ever do!

Thanks in advance for your help.

David

/ Speaking of down pressure #3  
Depending on what you're putting the posts into you should have no problem. I do it all the time here, but I've come to realize our soil is abnormally rich and not too rocky. Apparently the settlers here did a good job removing stones from the fields 200 or so years ago to build all the rock walls around the property.

I also installed split rail fencing pretty quick by drilling 'starter' holes with my PHD, dropping the post in and dropping the FEL bucket on them to pound them in tight, then filling in the holes and tamping by hand. Pounding them in with the FEL bucket worked really well to 'set' the post, the fence is still straight and strong after going through a winter.

/ Speaking of down pressure
Thanks for the link homebrew, yes I missed it. Sorry

/ Speaking of down pressure
Badog, thanks for the information. Unfortunately I don't have a PHD and my dirt this time of year is like concrete. I guess I'll check with the rental guys.