SPEECO POST HOLE DIGGERS

/ SPEECO POST HOLE DIGGERS #1  

doxford jim

Veteran Member
Tractor
1959 MF-65 sold, 2007 Jinma 554 diesel.
Hi,

I am looking at buying a Speeco post hole digger and the model I think, is 70 -
yellow painted frame. Also a 12" auger as well.

From what I can determine, this PHD and a 12" auger will dig a 45" deep hole.

Does anyone know if this is true ? If it is, can an extension be put in between the auger and the gearbox, to lengthen the hole depth ?

Reason I am asking is the the local building code where I am, says that the concrete piers for wood post (for decks, carports etc.) must be at least 4 ft deep for gravel to 6 ft deep for clay soils. I need to drill 14 or 16 holes for both a carport and a deck entension and want to get down to at least 5 ft so I can use a sonotube filled with concrete.

So, can say a 12 " or 18" extension be fitted to lengthen drilling depth - safely ?
Drill the first hole, the extend the length with extension to go deeper. A slow process, but is it doable ??

I am new to PHD - hence the question. I don't have a backhoe so the only other option is diggin by hand in clay soil - not good. My tractor works fine so a TPH PHD seems to be the answer. I am 45 miles out of town so getting someone to drill them for me would be prohibitive.

Any info or advice would be greatly appreciated - cost is a factor, so the Speeco seems affordable. I am sure there are much more expensive ones around.

Thanks

Jim

/ SPEECO POST HOLE DIGGERS #2  
One trick I have done is to pick up the front end of the tractor with the loader. Doing so drops the rear end enough to go about another 8 -10 inches deeper. Might be an option if you have a loader. It does take some practice to do it and still drill plumb holes - a spotter helps.

/ SPEECO POST HOLE DIGGERS #3  
If you use the search function here, you can find a couple previous threads discussing extensions for post hole augers. It can be done, but I think one of your problems will be that once you put the extension in, your tractor may not be able to lift the auger high enough off the ground to put it in, nor take it out of the hole. With a little ingenuity, I think you will do just fine.

/ SPEECO POST HOLE DIGGERS #4  
If you do buy a PHD make dang sure to check your gearbox oil 80/90 before useing most I have seen/owned were shipped dry.

Boone

/ SPEECO POST HOLE DIGGERS #5  
Hi,

I am looking at buying a Speeco post hole digger and the model I think, is 70 -
yellow painted frame. Also a 12" auger as well.

From what I can determine, this PHD and a 12" auger will dig a 45" deep hole.

Does anyone know if this is true ? If it is, can an extension be put in between the auger and the gearbox, to lengthen the hole depth ?

Reason I am asking is the the local building code where I am, says that the concrete piers for wood post (for decks, carports etc.) must be at least 4 ft deep for gravel to 6 ft deep for clay soils. I need to drill 14 or 16 holes for both a carport and a deck entension and want to get down to at least 5 ft so I can use a sonotube filled with concrete.

So, can say a 12 " or 18" extension be fitted to lengthen drilling depth - safely ?
Drill the first hole, the extend the length with extension to go deeper. A slow process, but is it doable ??

I am new to PHD - hence the question. I don't have a backhoe so the only other option is diggin by hand in clay soil - not good. My tractor works fine so a TPH PHD seems to be the answer. I am 45 miles out of town so getting someone to drill them for me would be prohibitive.

Any info or advice would be greatly appreciated - cost is a factor, so the Speeco seems affordable. I am sure there are much more expensive ones around.

Thanks

Jim

My Speeco w/ all augers digs to 42 inches. That is a good idea to raise the front w/ loader for xtra depth. I'll try that next time....

/ SPEECO POST HOLE DIGGERS #6  
One trick I have done is to pick up the front end of the tractor with the loader. Doing so drops the rear end enough to go about another 8 -10 inches deeper. Might be an option if you have a loader. It does take some practice to do it and still drill plumb holes - a spotter helps.

Great tip! I have been going the last 6 inches by hand:(

/ SPEECO POST HOLE DIGGERS #7  
I find to get the extra depth I dig the back tires down 6"-8" as I do not have a front end loader. Also if you drill on a slope and there is no such thing as level ground digging the high side back tire down will give you a straight hole. I have a spoon for cleaning out the bottom of the hole. It is like a soup ladle with a 12' handle.

Craig Clayton

/ SPEECO POST HOLE DIGGERS #8  
And it always helps to put a little water in the hole so the posthole clam or spoon can easily clean out the bottom after the auger does its job. Makes the dirt stick together better when removing the bottom debris..

/ SPEECO POST HOLE DIGGERS #9  
I have a spoon for cleaning out the bottom of the hole. It is like a soup ladle with a 12' handle.

You have a spoon? Few even know what they are and fewer yet can use them as designed. I knew an old line foreman who could sink a six foot deep hole for a power pole in minutes with a bar and spoon. Quite impressive to watch.

/ SPEECO POST HOLE DIGGERS
Thanks guys, for the suggestions. I had never heard of "post hole spoons" but when I googled it, came up with exactly what you guys are talking about.
So I guess, a regula length auger bit, hand p[ost hole digger and a spoon should do the trick eh !

Thanks again - your input is much appreciated.

I am a recent country life inductee - "I growed up" in London UK, so things are a little different nowadays :D:D:D

Cheers

Jim