Spent the day fixing an old brush hog

/ Spent the day fixing an old brush hog #21  
Nothing wrong with using the right gaskets. And if it is a bearing breload issue.. you should use the correct ones.. or make sure your home-made one is exact on the money. All said.. sounds like ya done good.

soundguy

/ Spent the day fixing an old brush hog #22  
Looks in great shape, you should see some of the hogs I've got laying in the rock pile. One of them is still working but looks like the scrap heap is welded to it.

/ Spent the day fixing an old brush hog
No pics but she is pretty much done. I have about 7-8 hours in the hog and another hour in the PTO drive shaft.

I haven't sunk it into a pile of brush yet but I hope that'll change SOON!:D

The drive shaft wouldn't slide in and out on the shaft so I, once again, used heat and a torch to soften up the hard grease. Once I beat on it for about an hour, I put it back together with never-seize. Works slicker than snot on a door handle.

I hooked it all up, crossed my fingers and with my teeth gritted together, I eased on the PTO. She came to life and ran pretty smoothly. I could feel a slight shimmy in the tractor but I'm not sure if that isn't each blade coming around. Actually, it was smoother than I thought. I've never used a bush hog before, so I'm really not sure how it should sound and feel.

All-in-all, I think it turned out well......8-9 hours, some PB Blaster, candle wax, tools, welder, spray paint, $12 for a gasket, some gear oil and that's about it. I probably came in for under $80 not counting my time. But, I'd much rather be outside working than sitting on my rump in front of the tube or computer.

The only thing I don't understand, how come when I picked up the hog, the front wanted to come forward and hit my tires? And, it wouldn't completely pick up the hog. The rear wheel was still on the ground. Do I have some of the arms in the wrong place? Wrong pin hole? Then, when I was done, the tractor wouldn't allow me to set the hog down far enough to take the lift arms off and the top adjustment was under pressure. I had to take a pry bar to get the arms off of the lift points.

This hitch is going to take some getting use to. My 8N wasn't near this hard to put things on and off with.........

/ Spent the day fixing an old brush hog #24  
Flatheadyoungin said:
No pics but she is pretty much done. I have about 7-8 hours in the hog and another hour in the PTO drive shaft.

I haven't sunk it into a pile of brush yet but I hope that'll change SOON!:D

The drive shaft wouldn't slide in and out on the shaft so I, once again, used heat and a torch to soften up the hard grease. Once I beat on it for about an hour, I put it back together with never-seize. Works slicker than snot on a door handle.

I hooked it all up, crossed my fingers and with my teeth gritted together, I eased on the PTO. She came to life and ran pretty smoothly. I could feel a slight shimmy in the tractor but I'm not sure if that isn't each blade coming around. Actually, it was smoother than I thought. I've never used a bush hog before, so I'm really not sure how it should sound and feel.

All-in-all, I think it turned out well......8-9 hours, some PB Blaster, candle wax, tools, welder, spray paint, $12 for a gasket, some gear oil and that's about it. I probably came in for under $80 not counting my time. But, I'd much rather be outside working than sitting on my rump in front of the tube or computer.

The only thing I don't understand, how come when I picked up the hog, the front wanted to come forward and hit my tires? And, it wouldn't completely pick up the hog. The rear wheel was still on the ground. Do I have some of the arms in the wrong place? Wrong pin hole? Then, when I was done, the tractor wouldn't allow me to set the hog down far enough to take the lift arms off and the top adjustment was under pressure. I had to take a pry bar to get the arms off of the lift points.

This hitch is going to take some getting use to. My 8N wasn't near this hard to put things on and off with.........
To lift the hog all the way off of the ground, you need to have your top link in the bottom pin on the back of your tractor to get maximum lift.

ok, i think it is in the top one....i check

the arms are in the holes under the axle.....there is a set on the top, too......i can't help but think this angle change would have changed how far it could lift the hog....

thanks

Texas Dodge said:
To lift the hog all the way off of the ground, you need to have your top link in the bottom pin on the back of your tractor to get maximum lift.

/ Spent the day fixing an old brush hog #26  
Yep.. if hog cam in to the tire and the back didn't lift.. toplink is setup wrong..

soundguy

I'll give it a try later......

i hope that's it....

what are the lift arm slots on the top side/bottom side of the axle for?