Splicing a small I beam together

/ Splicing a small I beam together #81  
This is the 10" beam I welded together. It spans 30' and sagged 1/16" in the center with a 1500 lb load.

Plates on both sides and tabs lag bolted into the rafters to locate it side to side.
That is 'skookum' as my dad used to say.

/ Splicing a small I beam together #84  
That is 'skookum' as my dad used to say.
That was a term my dad also used. Terry image-2446304337.jpg These guys come by my shop every Tuesday. Edit: not exactly these two gentlemen, but you get what I mean. :)

Last edited:
   / Splicing a small I beam together #85  
Skookum is a Chinook (native american) slang to imply that someone is "impressed". Its used mostly in the Northwest USA. I like that its still in use.

/ Splicing a small I beam together #86  
What does that mean? Sent from my iPhone 5s 64Gb using TractorByNet
Principal meaning

It has a range of positive meanings. The word can mean 'good,' 'strong,'[2] 'best,' 'powerful,' 'ultimate,' or 'brave.' Something can be skookum meaning 'really good' or 'right on! 'excellent!', or it can be skookum meaning 'tough' or 'durable.' A skookum burger is either a big[3] or a really tasty hamburger, or both. Homecooked food described as skookum, is delicious and hearty. A person described as skookum, has a purpose and is on solid ground, and in good health and spirits. When used in reference to another person, e.g. "he's skookum," it conveys connotations of trustworthiness, reliability and honesty as well as (possibly but not necessarily) strength and size.

Being called skookum may also mean that someone can be counted on as reliable and hard-working, or is big and strong. Skookum house means jail or prison, cf. the English euphemism "the big house" but here meaning "strong house." Skookum tumtum, lit. "strong heart," is generally translated as "brave" or possibly "good-hearted." In the Chinook language, skookum is a verb auxiliary, used similar to "can" or "to be able." Another compound, though fallen out of use in modern British Columbia English, is skookum lacasset,' or strongbox.

/ Splicing a small I beam together
Thanks for the explanation!

Still won't use here as people would look at me like I have 2 heads! Lol

Sent from my iPhone 5s 64Gb using TractorByNet