Splicing radiator hose

/ Splicing radiator hose #1  

Richard

Elite Member
Tractor
International 1066 Full sized JCB Loader/Backhoe and a John Deere 430 to mow with
Having recently repaired the radiator on my backhoe/loader, I noticed while doing so the bottom radiator hose has a smaller hose attached to it.

In essence, the lower hose (let's call it a 2" hose) is maybe two feet long and connects to the engine block. Midway down, there is another hose, we'll say 3/4" that goes off to somewhere else (I didn't look)

The hose is ok but I'm realizing that someday, I'll probably need to replace this lower hose and they (JCB) can be VERY proud of some of their parts. If memory serves me, this hose is several hundred dollars (poor memory).

So, that got me thinking, is there some way that I can splice into it and use more standard hoses???

I did a google search and found this right off the bat.

I only bring this up so if anyone else finds themselves in a similar boat of needing to "T" off a radiator hose, you might see that it can be easily done...something up to now, I didn't realize.

So, this is more of a public service announcement than anything else as now, when my time comes, I'll know how to fix it cheaper than the standard part.

:D

https://shell7.tdl.com/~jags/Pages/Parts_TPI-TBI_HoseSplice.html

/ Splicing radiator hose #2  
Yep.. just a 3-way hose barb.. these are common hardware store items in the small town i live in... work good too.

soundguy

/ Splicing radiator hose #3  
I have also drained my block and radiator to flush the old Coolant, at that time I took the lower and upper radiator hose with me to a part store that I know. I asked the guy if he can match the hose for me... He suggested that I go back in the isle where they had the hoses and check it out. it took me 5 minutes and I came out with upper and lower hoses 95% matching of what I needed. Few minutes of eyeballing and a sharp knife and I had a perfect match. I put the new on and kept the old for emergency (it was not busted yet). It saved more than 2/3 of dealer or any online source without the shipment charge added.

Well, That's another public service announcement:D :D

JC,