splitter seized up today

/ splitter seized up today #11  
Maybe cut the guy a little slack until he comes back with more. I don't think he meant "what is the dipstick" I think he meant "what kind of" total repairs are we looking at. OP?
Jim

/ splitter seized up today #12  
I would agree with cutting him a little slack. I will toss my hat into the ring of not always checking the fluids. I am better at it now.

/ splitter seized up today #13  
It will need an engine replacement. Take the engine's model, type, and code number to a Tecumseh dealer and look up the price of a replacement engine and a short block. If you can remove the parts that bolt to the block and put them back on you can get by with a short block. The short block will need the head, sheet metal, flywheel, gas tank, muffler, carburetor and intake manifold, linkage, and ignition all switched over to the new short block. We used to sell a lot of those at the shop where I worked. Just to make you feel better, once, someone bought a discounted lawn mower from a department store chain. The mower had been returned as defective, and it wouldn't turn over. I took that oil plug out and oil shot out for quite a while. I removed the spark plug and it was soaked in oil, and I was able to turn over the engine at this point. A cylinder full of oil shot out the spark plug hole. I cleaned up the mess, and spun the engine over a few times to clear more oil from the ports. I put the right amount of oil in it and started it up, outside. Everything disappeared with the smoke, but it did clear up. He had a new lawn mower for a cheap price, even paying us to empty it of the excess oil.

/ splitter seized up today
Thanks all, I am a mechanic for a machine tool builder and this is the first engine i toasted. Always a first thought. The black cap you see to the left of the yellow plug is what we have been using to check the oil level. ( it is a dipstick also, metal like a car style ), so the yellow must be same but for a lower resevoir. But thanks for the suggestions. the one about connecting to the tractor is one i would like to do in the interim till i get new mtr bolted in.
regards, john

/ splitter seized up today #15  
Surplus Center has small gas engines on sale, might be a cheap way for you to get it going. Go to their website and see if they have what you need.

/ splitter seized up today #16  
The black cap you see to the left of the yellow plug is what we have been using to check the oil level. ( it is a dipstick also, metal like a car style ), so the yellow must be same but for a lower resevoir.
regards, john
Both the black cap with the dipstick and the yellow plug go to the exact same reseviour for the oil to lubricate the engine. They are to different openeing to check the exact same level of the exact same oil. I will take a picture of the inside of a similar engine to show you.

Attachments

• IMAG0094.jpg
    IMAG0094.jpg
    603.4 KB · Views: 90
  • IMAG0093.JPG
    IMAG0093.JPG
    744.5 KB · Views: 82