spray insulation

/ spray insulation #1  

alysonsdad

Tractor
JD 3025
nephew just got a metal outbuilding about 20 x 30. Ideas for insulating it? and costs? Was thinking of doing the insulating as a shed warming gift. Thanks in advance

/ spray insulation #2  
Spray insulation is expensive but it does accomplish air sealing. 2" should be plenty in GA. Up here in PA 2" is only a start.

/ spray insulation #4  
I got a quote of $2500 for a 20x30 bay in my shop here in North Texas a couple years ago. Shop has 12' walls, and a12x10' insulated door that reduced coverage area. I had to pass.

/ spray insulation #5  
We just did 2500 sq ft of open cell 4-5" thick. Cost was $5,000. We are in NW Missouri.

/ spray insulation #6  
I "WAS" gonna go that route until I saw the cost.. ended up doing 2" foil faced foam board. 50@20.00/sheet [$1000.00 delivered] 24x32 metal
4x8 sheets cut to fit nicely between studs for a tight fit.. did ceiling/roof too..
Started by using a "bread" knife but ended w/ a circular saw.. much, much faster & easier on the arm..

/ spray insulation #7  
We foamed our entire house when we built it 7 years ago. Cost was about 14k for the whole place.. Fiberglass batt insulation would have been about 8K. There is no doubt we have recouped the added cost by now. It is incredibly efficient, our heat and AC bills are very cheap compared to other houses we have owners of similar size. I would do it again if we rebuild.

/ spray insulation #8  
I was quoted $0.50 a board foot for open cell and $1 a board foot for closed cell spray foam. I went with batt insulation in my house I am building myself.....

/ spray insulation #9  
Without a doubt, spay foam insulation is expensive and does the best job of sealing air infiltration. Along with it there are many variables , open cell and closed cell (being the most expensive), thickness, and "R" value (which I've seen no mention of so far).

Just something to keep in mind when comparing quotes.

/ spray insulation #10  
I'm on a pier and beam foundation and they're spraying the underside of my floor today. 1200 ft2, 2" thick closed cell foam, $2400 It will give about an R13. I looked at fiberglass and open cell foam, but for moisture and critters, the closed cell is the best option. Because it's a crawl space and not subjected to the full ambient temperature swings, R13 should be fine.