Spray Rig

/ Spray Rig #1  

Trainer

Silver Member
Tractor
Massey-Ferguson 220-4
Looking for input on spray rigs. The options are PTO driven and the ones with a 12 volt motor mounted on a tank. What is the advantage and disadvantage of each. I am going to spray herbicide on poison ivy and weeds.

/ Spray Rig #2  
It's all about capacity..... (Gallons per minute...) 12V "on demand" pumps will most likely do what you just described. BUT.... If you want to add a boom with several high volume spray nozzles, you could be cutting it close. Check delivery pressure available, as well as G.P.M. from the 12V pump. If it's with-in your needs, there isn't any need for the greater expense of a roller pump.

Best recommendation I can make is to contact TEE-JET for there product guide. They make and sell the lions share of sprayer parts and accessories.

/ Spray Rig #3  
If you ever decide to mount the sprayer to a pickup or ATV, the 12V version will allow it.

/ Spray Rig #4  
I have one of the fimco atv sprayers that has the 25 gallon tank, 12v pump and 12 foot boom along with a spray wand. I use it to spray herbicide and it works real well. We only have 10 acres, of which I sprayed about 7 acres a few weeks ago, it worked real well for that, I can easily do 3 acres an hour, maybe 4.

I thought about getting a 3ph roller pump spray setup but this was cheaper.

/ Spray Rig #5  
Twstanley - is this what you have?

I have a similar unit but mine has the frame/axle and small tires. For lawns, it's fine but I don't know if I'd run it through deep stuff. Too low to the ground and wheelbase is narrow so it might get tippy.

/ Spray Rig #6  
This past spring we had the opportunity to use a Fimco sprayer that used an electric pump. Really wasn't thrilled with it at all and for that reason we plan to put one together using a PTO pump. The electric pump just didn't seem to have the output that we expected.

/ Spray Rig #7  
John, I had a 25 gallon spray rig that had its own separate 3hp Briggs & Stratton engine, but it was the same Hypro roller pump used on tractor PTO rigs. My brother had a 55 gallon rig with the 12 volt Shurflo pump. His rig also had a fold out boom for an 8' spread, but I've forgotten just how many nozzles. Both rigs worked well. I used his 12 volt rig behind my tractor and he used it behind his Kawasaki Mule.

The major differences are that the 12 volt rig can be used on almost any vehicle while the PTO rig requires the tractor (or a separate engine). The 12 volt rig had a maximum pressure of 60 psi while the PTO rig was up to 300 psi. I could spray insecticide higher in the trees with the PTO type pump, although I usually ran it at only 100 psi. And as has been mentioned already, you can get more volume (gallons per minute) with the PTO pump.

/ Spray Rig #8  
I use the 12V pump (also have the PTO pump hanging up in the shed) on a boom sprayer I built, and with four spray nozzles and a 30 gal tank, I couldn't ask for a better rig. I run it around 18-20 psi. Earlier this summer I added a hand wand and could spray brush back 30' off the roadway. I didn't expect that of it, and planned only to do spot spraying where I couldn't drive between my trees.

I found, after a couple roller PTO pumps that the maintenance was a bit on the expensive side, although the higher psi was sometimes beneficial, when reaching up into trees. I don't go there anymore. The 12V pump is good for caring for the 8 acres of lawn (just came in from fininshing spraying 180 gal of herbicide as the dandelions and thistles seem to be starting to grow again) and much quicker and easier to hook up and be spraying (just plug it in). Rigging the PTO pump and the hoses and the tanks and going only where my 'bigger' tractor would go, just isn't worth the extra effort to me now. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

/ Spray Rig #9  
I bought a 15gal 12v pull sprayer three years ago and pull it with an electric golf cart, it works good for my place, I didn't know how much I would use it at the time and now wish it was 25 or 30gal tank.

/ Spray Rig #10  
How much area are you spraying? Just on average you are going to want to spray 10 gallons of solution per acre. To me mixing up the chemicals is a pain. I mean I would not want to be spraying 25 acres with a 25 gallon tank. You would have to stop and refill ten times.

First thing I would do is decide on a tank size based on the largest area you will spray. You can always fill the tank half full but you can't go the other way.

Next figure out what size boom you are going to have. That is how many nozzles. Calculate in gallons per minute what the nozzles need. Double that number and get a pump that size. You need the extra flow for agaitation to keep the tank mixed up. PTO pumps all the way, unless you are using a 25 gallon or less tank without agitation.