Sprayed the yard

/ Sprayed the yard #1  

BenderKC

Silver Member
Tractor
JD 4310 MFWD HST
Used my PTO mounted sprayer today to make quick work of spraying the dandelion patch (3ac) in under an hour. Used a TSC product and added liquid fertilizer. Wife and I are planning a funeral for the zillion dandelions now passing on. Afraid I was a little late though as many have already started to flower. I presume the seeds will still produce??

/ Sprayed the yard #2  
Great...there goes the price of dandelion wine!

/forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Dave

/ Sprayed the yard #3  
Last year I sprayed my lawn with a killex mixture to get rid of dandelions and some other unwanted. This year I get to replant the lawn as the mixture was not correct.

And to think; Dandelions were imported as a food source. Now they are considered weeds.

Egon

/ Sprayed the yard #4  
<font color="blue"> I presume the seeds will still produce?? </font>

The answer to your question is .... "probably". If it's just the flower head, you probably got them but if the seed head had formed then probably not and you will be spraying again. A lot depends on what herbicide you used and at what concentration and how it works to kill the weeds. Then there are the variables like, "Did you use surfactant, your tractor speed and the delivery rate of your sprayer". Get it all right and the weeds die, get one or more parts wrong and as Egon says, "You're replanting grass". It's usually a case of more is not better. 3 acres in under an hour seems a little on the fast side to me for proper coverage, faster than I go on the yard, but it can be done if you get the sprayer calibration right and keep the speed constant at what you calibrated at for correct coverage rate. You've probably got a longer boom than me. I only use a 6 footer and you probably use a 10 footer. Good luck with killing the dandilions ... I hate those things. I have a neighbour who only cuts his pasture once a year and never sprays. If the wind is blowing in the right direction my yard is covered with them every spring. Still, it's a good excuse to get on the tractor and go kill something.

/ Sprayed the yard #5  
You'll probably need to spray again for new dandelions. If they don't come from seeds in your yard they will blow in from your neighbors. (Speaking from experience.) /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif

I use have a 25 gallon with an electric pump that I use on the rear rack of my atv. It just has a 40" boom with 3 heads, but that helps the mobility as I have a lot of trees to maneuver around.

I'll be spraying the yard in the next couple of weeks if the atv is still in one piece. Got a big trip planned for the end of this week. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ Sprayed the yard #6  
I've a good dandelion digger that's a lot safer to use.

You'll miss out on some good dandelion recipes.

Ralph

/ Sprayed the yard #7  
Ralph:

We have used the fresh new leaves in salads and the roots in stir fries. They are palatable.

Would not use the ones in town but will make use of ones out at the lake.

Egon

/ Sprayed the yard #8  
Just "palatable"? Try having a 4' tall Italian mother make them with lots of garlic, served besides roast chicken and 'taters and you've got hearty peasant food. Yum yum.

/ Sprayed the yard #9  
yep u ar coooorect! served with a side of sauteed wild mustard,
and comming up in afew weeks the new growth of GARDOON( WILD BURDOCK) /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

/ Sprayed the yard
Note the zillions number, the digger is not an option.