Sprayer decision...please give me your opinion

/ Sprayer decision...please give me your opinion #11  
HCJ, how many gallon per acre do you currently use? What kind of boom and nozzle set up are on your ATV sprayer? How many times a year do you have to spray?

I can cover an acre in pretty short order with my boom spraying right at 12 foot wide @ 11 Gal per acre. That figures up to about 6 acres per hour @ 5MPH + 3 fill ups at say 10 minutes each. Besides the fill ups give my pump a chance to cool down.

Purchase some flags to mark a stopping point if needed and a water tank, install a 2 inch hose from the tank to fill your spray tank with gravity flow from either truck bed or on trailer. Trailer the ATV and water tank with enough water to spray the entire area. Only mix your herbicides in the sprayer tank as it will be easier to clean out your sprayer tank than a storage tank. Have two shut off valves, one off the tank to remove the hose for storage/trailering and an additional shut off on the fill end to allow easy shut off when filling. Mixing chemicals in the sprayer tank only, allows you to change chemicals for different fields or tweak herbicide rates for different portions of the field. May take a little longer, not much, but way more cost effective and easier / quicker than trailering a tractor back and forth.

And if you are spraying trails you will not want to be pulling a trailer to do this, at least not a trailer with 200 Gal of water

Just my :2cents: but you have to have a boom set up right to be able to do this.

/ Sprayer decision...please give me your opinion #12  
My main goal is to get a system I can "get her done" quickly. I wish I could build a rig that holds enough for 8 or 10 acres, is portable enough to drive to the site, and will allow me just to drive around and sprays the plots, and then go home.

I've got a 100 gallon (actually holds 110 gallons) 3pt sprayer with a 20 foot boom. Sprays exactly 8 acres on a fill. Pto driven.

Not many farmers still using such small riigs around here, was at a consignment sale today and 5 sprayers, 2 of them didn't bring $200 the owners no-saled them, the rest were 300 gallon 40 foot boom pull type simple sprayers, went $500-700. You can't build one for that.

Doesn't help you directly, but some thoughts on the topic I guess?

--->Paul

/ Sprayer decision...please give me your opinion #13  
Water left in those tanks won't stay safe for long, without treatment. You may already realize this, but I thought I'd mention it.
Well "safe" is relative to what I'd be doing with it. I mainly want water at remote locations to mix w/ herbicides and insecticides, to rinse mud off equipment and myself, etc.

I wouldn't plan on using it for surgical procedures or cooking or drinking.

It's real easy to carry water to drink, takes a lot more to wash clay off my boots, mix 10 gallons of spray, etc.

/edit
I've been using my complicated rain water collection system I showed you to rinse sawdust off the pavement and dust off the car.

/ Sprayer decision...please give me your opinion #14  
HCJtractor said:
Thanks. I will check those out. How do you have your tank rigged? Is it a trailer? Where do you get a power source? Alligator clips to your battery, or a dedicated battery, or a plug? A good 12 volt pump would sure make my design easier and allow me to use either my truck or my tractor to dispense.

I put the tank in my truck bed and have a remote switch in the cab. I have a battery in the bed and use alligator clips.
I bought a 3 point fork lift frame to try this year. The battery will be tied to the top of the tank and I'll mount the pump on the back. Probably can't lift a full tank but I'll fill it as much as I can.

/ Sprayer decision...please give me your opinion
That sounds ideal for me. I could build a frame and have it either for my truck bed or 3 point if my tractor was on site.

Several questions. Will a battey last long enough to pump 200 gallons without a charge? Boom or boomless? Got any pictures? Did youplumb it yourself? Any problem going the right speed? Thanks!!

/ Sprayer decision...please give me your opinion #16  
That sounds ideal for me. I could build a frame and have it either for my truck bed or 3 point if my tractor was on site.

Several questions. Will a battey last long enough to pump 200 gallons without a charge? Boom or boomless? Got any pictures? Did youplumb it yourself? Any problem going the right speed? Thanks!!

I use a deep cycle battery and it lasts long enough to unload 2 tanks when I water my trees. I have a picture attached of the setup to water trees. I use a boomless nozzle for spraying roundup. It gives me a 16' spray that works very well. I do need a recycle line back to the tank due to my high pump rate. I put a valve in the recycle line to control the width of the spray.
It is easy for me to maintain my speed because my fields are flat and level. I think the tractor would be even easier.
Here is the pallet mover attachment I'm going to try this year. I got mine from Tractor Supply. I'll post some pictures when I get it set up.
King Kutter Pallet Mover, Model# PM-15 | 3-Point Category 1 Implements | Northern Tool + Equipment

Attachments

• Water Pump Setup.jpg
    Water Pump Setup.jpg
    731.5 KB · Views: 452
   / Sprayer decision...please give me your opinion
Thanks for the info. I think i will copy your idea! I already have a leinbach carryall that i never use. Just need to buy a tote and pump. That fat boy looks pretty strong. Boomless also seems way to go. I also just bought a wireless fimco remote switch that should work. I need to figure out what boomless tip and what height to mount it. I guess a inline filter/strainer would also be good. Keep us posted on your progress. Thanks again

/ Sprayer decision...please give me your opinion #18  
HCJtractor said:
Thanks for the info. I think i will copy your idea! I already have a leinbach carryall that i never use. Just need to buy a tote and pump. That fat boy looks pretty strong. Boomless also seems way to go. I also just bought a wireless fimco remote switch that should work. I need to figure out what boomless tip and what height to mount it. I guess a inline filter/strainer would also be good. Keep us posted on your progress. Thanks again

DEFINITELY use an in line filter. I found one at Wal-Mart that has hose connections and a wire screen. Look in the garden section. Zoom in on the picture to see the filter connected at the pump suction. I have cleaned it out numerous times.
You need to experiment with the height of the nozzle to get the width you want and to prevent wind drift. My nozzle came with an adjustable bar for height and a few C bolts. I don't remember where I got mine but Agri Supply should have one.
BTW, be sure to use a "deep cycle" battery. They are better designed for long use and constant discharge.

Last edited:
   / Sprayer decision...please give me your opinion #19  
   / Sprayer decision...please give me your opinion #20  
newbury said:
At $350 that is kind of pricy.
Agrisupply has several and I got the 3-Point Pallet Fork a couple of years ago, works well. Now it's $150.

I bought mine from Tractor Supply for less than $200. I just used a picture from Northern Tool web site to show it. I can now find them made locally for $150 and painted to match your tractor color.