Spread Out 3PH Lower Links

/ Spread Out 3PH Lower Links #1  

thavil

Platinum Member
Tractor
Kubota BX24
Since the BX models have turnbuckles on the inside of the 3PH, the lower links want to collapse inward which makes connecting a rotary cutter harder. I don't want to purchase a quick hitch or a Pats w/stabilizer since I have spent a lot of money recently on implements and upgrades.

For those of you in the same situation, what do you use to keep the lower links spread out? I cut a broom handle to length but it isn't working as well as I hoped. I haven't tried bungee cords yet but may give that a try.

/ Spread Out 3PH Lower Links #3  
Change the pins on the rotary cutter to point inward.:thumbsup:

/ Spread Out 3PH Lower Links #4  
My old yanmar has a little piece of 1/8" rod bent into a u-shape welded to the inside of each arm. I got a 3/8" piece of round bar and bent a 90 on each end to slide down in the loops on the arms. This holds the arms apart and I drop them down on the pins. I can then use my bar to manipulate the opposite side arm if I can't reach over the implement.

/ Spread Out 3PH Lower Links #5  
If you happen to get a Pat's QH, it has a hole in each hitch to put in their spreader.

I found it easier to hook up the implement with the Pat's, measure the distance between the holes and bend (or weld) a piece of 1/4" or 3/8" rebar to fit in the holes. Then the rebar is left with the implement so next hook up everything goes smoothly.

There are replacement lower links for the BX that are extendable and eliminate the turnbuckles but they are expensive - not that the Pat's are cheap either.

/ Spread Out 3PH Lower Links
Thanks for all the great ideas! I'll see which one works out better for me. I smacked my forehead when I read Danner's post about turning the pins around. I've read other posts about doing this but didn't even think about it in my situation. I see a Pat's QH or the extendable lower links that gwdixon mentioned in my future.

/ Spread Out 3PH Lower Links #7  
Thanks for all the great ideas! I'll see which one works out better for me. I smacked my forehead when I read Danner's post about turning the pins around. I've read other posts about doing this but didn't even think about it in my situation. I see a Pat's QH or the extendable lower links that gwdixon mentioned in my future.

Pat's Easy Change is a nice system. They do have an optional adjustable spreader bar to keep the lower links set for an implement.

Although I have a Quick Hitch now, the Pat's system is more versatile. You don't have to modify an implement to work and, if I had to do it over again, I would have gone for the Pat's system (again).

/ Spread Out 3PH Lower Links #8  
In fact, I was out mowing today, and snapped a few pictures of my RCR1248 the BX2660. This combo runs like a champ. :thumbsup:

rcr.1.jpg

rcr.2.jpg

rcr.3.jpg

rcr.4.jpg

/ Spread Out 3PH Lower Links #9  
Thavil, hope you don't mind my asking, but when people say there are extendable lower links available, but expensive, are they talking about:

little bars with lots of holes that replace the turnbuckles (which I have)

or

replacement lower arms like in this picture on post one of this thread...I would Love a set of these

http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/...g/10221-dont-bend-your-telescoping-links.html

My implements are all odd, and won't all work with Pats, or any of the others I have seen.

/ Spread Out 3PH Lower Links
Roy - Thanks for your input.

Danner - Thank you for taking the time to post some pictures! You gave me something else to try with my cutter, the check chains. Again, I've read about people using them to keep the cutter from dropping but forgot all about mounting some.

EE Bota - Not sure but for me, I thought gwdixon was talking about replacement lower arms.