Spreader SPREADER CALIBRATION

/ SPREADER CALIBRATION #1  

flINTLOCK

Platinum Member
Tractor
NH TC40DA 2002
I'm going to be picking up a 3-pt spreader in next week or so to use on food plots for deer, mainly for fertilizer application. X I could always use trial and error, starting with light applications and working up to the 150# per acre I need. Must be a better way, though. Any suggestions on most efficient/easiest way to calibrate??

/ SPREADER CALIBRATION #2  
What type of spreader?

With a Vicon you catch the fertilizer as it comes out the spout while you drive a measured distance. You then take the distance traveled and multiply it by the spread with to figure out the area. Then measure how much material you caught and then just do the conversion up to an acre. The Vicons have a great metering system and if you do the math correctly the machines are usually right on.

If it is a rotary style of spreader then hopefully it has a chart to go by and if you are doing 150 lbs/acre then mark out an acre and put in 150 pounds and spread just the acre. If you have 50 pounds left then you either need to open it up more or slow down a tad. Vice versa if you run out short.

/ SPREADER CALIBRATION #3  
Your spreader should come with a guide chart.

My guess would be 5 mph and open the shoot to #4.

Do double check though.