Spreader

/ Spreader #11  
Pendulum spreaders are nice but very expensive.
I am getting a John Deere 3 PT rotary spreader (poly an stainless steel) and it is over 800$
Their pendulum spreaders run well over 2000$ -Mike

/ Spreader #12  
   / Spreader #13  
I have never used a 3 point spreader, but the 12 volt spreader I use on my 4 wheeler varies the width by the RPM of the 12 volt motor. I would think the PTO models would do the same by varying the PTO speed. Take some experimenting to get the right travel speed and PTO speed.

/ Spreader
Here is the main area were I would use the tractor to spread. (that old leaning apple tree is going to go)

20130403_111049_zpsdd3d8e7d.jpg

Hi Roger,

I was just going through this myself and ended up buying this Earthway broadcast spreader for my little over 2 acres of lawn. It seems a little expensive for a walk behind, but it does an excellent job. I can cover the lawn pretty quickly. The spread settings are based on a 3 mph walk. Have you looked at the pendulum spreaders? Pricey, but sound nice. I included a link to a pendulum spreader from Agrisupply to give you an idea on price. I think I will try to buy one eventually, but the walk behind will do until then. Good luck in the search.

Amazon.com: Earthway 2150 Commercial 50-Pound Walk-Behind Broadcast Spreader: Patio, Lawn & Garden

Pendulum-action Spreaders - LSU AgCenter

Fertilizer Spreader, Fertilizer Spreaders, Seed Spreader | Agri Supply, 76160

Russ

That is a nice looking walk behind broadcast spreader Russ. I definitely want one that is commercial grade. Those homeowner grade spreaders are not much. The pendulum spreader does sound better but since I am just doing it for me I can probably live with a regular broadcast spreader. If I was doing it comercially I would go with a pendulum spreader.

Pendulum spreaders are nice but very expensive.
I am getting a John Deere 3 PT rotary spreader (poly an stainless steel) and it is over 800$
Their pendulum spreaders run well over 2000$ -Mike

I have heard that over time a poly hopper will crack. Stainless would be the ultimate.

If I was doing a small hillside, I would choose one of the handheld spreader models.

Handheld Spreaders, Spreaders & Seeders, - GEMPLER'S
Earthway EV N Spred Fertilizer Seed Spreader Inv 8301 | eBay

I think I'd go with a rigid can over the the canvas, although I suppose I haven't used a canvas bag spreader for 30 years. Probably not a backpack either.

I have a small handheld now. It is so small I usually just carry the bag and spread it by hand. I probably should upgrade that too.

I have never used a 3 point spreader, but the 12 volt spreader I use on my 4 wheeler varies the width by the RPM of the 12 volt motor. I would think the PTO models would do the same by varying the PTO speed. Take some experimenting to get the right travel speed and PTO speed.

I was wondering if you could reduce the PTO speed and it would still work properly. Wouldn't that change the rate at which the fertilizer comes out of the spreader?

/ Spreader #15  
I was wondering if you could reduce the PTO speed and it would still work properly. Wouldn't that change the rate at which the fertilizer comes out of the spreader?

PTO speed is generally based on engine speed. If you have a hillside, then it may be difficult to maintain a low PTO speed. Push/Pull spreaders often are based on wheel speed.

You can, of course, shift to a higher or lower gear for the wheels.

Most spreaders will have an adjustable slot to determine the flow rate. The slot opening would be independent of the speed.

They will also have some system such as a chain, shaker, stirrer, or something to keep the fertilizer clumps flowing.

/ Spreader
PTO speed is generally based on engine speed. If you have a hillside, then it may be difficult to maintain a low PTO speed. Push/Pull spreaders often are based on wheel speed.

You can, of course, shift to a higher or lower gear for the wheels.

Most spreaders will have an adjustable slot to determine the flow rate. The slot opening would be independent of the speed.

They will also have some system such as a chain, shaker, stirrer, or something to keep the fertilizer clumps flowing.

The tractor is a hydro but you still need enough RPMs for it to run efficiently. The hill is the most open part of the yard so I could run 540 PTO. I am also looking at some 12v spreaders.

/ Spreader #17  
I need to eventually some kind of spread for the BX to spread lime and fertilizer. I really want something that is 3PH mounted. I am not sure if a broadcast spreader would work for me because I have some smaller areas I need to use it in. I have looked for a 3PH drop spreader but they are expensive. What would be the best way to go?

If you have a UTV or ATV, then you might consider the smaller 12VDC electric spreaders that mount on them. Lots of folks (including me) use them to seed food plots with. If needed, you can add adjustable side plates to change (narrow or widen) the pattern of the seed being cast with it. Or, you can get one that is pull behind and driven by the ground speed (and probably use the riding lawn mower to pull it with).

Just because you have nice tractor, don't get into the mindset that everything you need done has to be done with the tractor! They have hundreds (thousands?) of uses, but sometimes there are more efficient ways to get things done. This is exactly why a lot of hunt clubs use the spreaders like I mentioned above to seed/fertilize their food plots with. They are usually planting firebreaks, logging roads, power lines, and gaslines, which are usually narrow for the most part. The 3pt spreaders simply throw it to far (even with the directional settings) and you wind up wasting a lot of expensive seed and fertilizer.

/ Spreader
If you have a UTV or ATV, then you might consider the smaller 12VDC electric spreaders that mount on them. Lots of folks (including me) use them to seed food plots with. If needed, you can add adjustable side plates to change (narrow or widen) the pattern of the seed being cast with it. Or, you can get one that is pull behind and driven by the ground speed (and probably use the riding lawn mower to pull it with).

Just because you have nice tractor, don't get into the mindset that everything you need done has to be done with the tractor! They have hundreds (thousands?) of uses, but sometimes there are more efficient ways to get things done. This is exactly why a lot of hunt clubs use the spreaders like I mentioned above to seed/fertilize their food plots with. They are usually planting firebreaks, logging roads, power lines, and gaslines. The 3pt spreaders simply throw it to far (even with the directional settings) and you wind up wasting a lot of expensive seed and fertilizer.

Looks like we were typing at the same times :D The BX is my mower. I am going to be making a 3PH trailer mover. I was also thinking about a 12v spreader. I could get one that hooks into a trailer hitch or modify it to so I could use it on the BX. I think a PTO spreader would be too much for most of my yard.

/ Spreader
Hi Roger,

I was just going through this myself and ended up buying this Earthway broadcast spreader for my little over 2 acres of lawn. It seems a little expensive for a walk behind, but it does an excellent job. I can cover the lawn pretty quickly. The spread settings are based on a 3 mph walk. Have you looked at the pendulum spreaders? Pricey, but sound nice. I included a link to a pendulum spreader from Agrisupply to give you an idea on price. I think I will try to buy one eventually, but the walk behind will do until then. Good luck in the search.

Amazon.com: Earthway 2150 Commercial 50-Pound Walk-Behind Broadcast Spreader: Patio, Lawn & Garden

Pendulum-action Spreaders - LSU AgCenter

Fertilizer Spreader, Fertilizer Spreaders, Seed Spreader | Agri Supply, 76160

Russ

Does the Earthway spreader have a agitator? If you don't mind could you post some pics of the spreader? Do you think it is truly a commercial grade spreader?

/ Spreader #20  
Hi Roger,

That "commercial" moniker is a tough thing for me. I would say it is well built and should last me a lifetime, but I do not think I would call it commercial. I guess I think of commercial as something that would hold up to a lawn service crew using and abusing it. Not sure if it would take throwing around or abuse, but possibly. It is built in the US, which I like, and uses a metal control rod (no cables). The wheels are plastic to prevent rusting. There is an agitator, which is just a spring clip, but seems to work well. There are still quite a few parts that are plastic, but I guess that is to prevent rust. They do make this model with a stainless steel frame also, but that is probably overkill. Something else will break or wear out before the frame, but it does look nice. :2cents: The hopper size I think is perfect as any bigger would get too heavy to push up hill. It pushes and works nice. I think the $168 price was a fair value. Here are some pictures. Let me know if you want pictures of anything else and/ or a copy of the manual. The reviews on Amazon say it is a pain to put together, but it wasn't bad at all.

DSCN1673.jpgDSCN1662.jpgDSCN1663.jpgDSCN1664.jpgDSCN1665.jpgDSCN1666.jpgDSCN1669.jpgDSCN1670.jpgDSCN1674.jpg