Spreading Ag Lime

/ Spreading Ag Lime #1  

jwcinpk

Veteran Member
Tractor
2009 Mahindra 3316 HST-2008 Mahindra 7010 cab - 2004 Mahindra 6000 4X4
Around here there are just a couple people who spread ag lime and they use a truck. You can rarely get lime spread. I haven't been able to locate a pull behind spreader even for rent.
I'm sure someone manufactures them that you pull behind a tractor. Could someone point me in the right direction. Depending on cost this might be another boneheaded costly buisness venture.

/ Spreading Ag Lime #2  
Ive seen some 3pt models (herd) and those for trucks but nothing like what youre asking for. Ill be intersted to see what the regulars come uip w/ as Im sure they exist. It seems to me though that the type which fit onto a flat bed truck would be least expensive and the truck could be used for other purposes. This type of rig would also be easier to get to/from/around the job site.

/ Spreading Ag Lime
It's 45 miles or more to the closest quarry. Most of the trucks only hold about 15 tons. I can have 30 tons delivered on the ground for under $100. I can't see paying for the truck, unless I could find a used one. By the time you pay insurance, licensing, maintenence, fuel, etc. I can't see being able to transport 30 tons to the farm and spread it. On the other hand if they bring it on the ground and I could get something pull behind and load it with the tractor loader I'd be in buisness. There are a lot of places here in SE KY I wouldn't dare take a lime truck.

/ Spreading Ag Lime #4  
All of the farm places around here have what are called fertilizer and/or lime buggys. They are basically hoppers with spreaders that you pull behind your tractor. They load the lime/fertilizer at the plant and bring it out to your farm. You spread it and they come back and pick it up. I would sure think they would have something like this where you are at.

/ Spreading Ag Lime #5  
Howdy fellow Kentuckian! Grab the phone book and look for a Southern States Co-op. They almost always have fertilizer/lime spreaders to rent. Dang near every county (EXCEPT the one I live in) has one in Ky.

Other than that, find a good FARM equipment dealer and ask them about buying one. Just don't expect a bargain. They're pricey. Since they're used for fertilizer more than lime, the majority are built using a lot of stainless steel. If my feeble mind is clicking tonight, I'm thinking Herd used to manufacture a fertilizer "buggy".

/ Spreading Ag Lime #6  
Ask the local dealers about them as they might know who has one to rent out. I buy my lime thru my friend and he lets us use his. He has a couple depending on what we are doing.

If you do look to buy a new one, be prepared as something as simple as they are have a price tag that doesn't match /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

/ Spreading Ag Lime
Well there are atleast 2 counties with a Southern States coop that don't rent lime spreaders. Somerset (pulaski co.) doesn't either. Neither does the Scott Farmer's coop just across the state line. Just my luck! I asked at Warner fertilizer where I buy my fertilizer and you would have thought I'd slept with someones wife. I can tell you they sure don't want you spreading lime with their spreaders. They would be more than glad to sell me that pelletized lime and let me use their spraeder though imagine that.

/ Spreading Ag Lime #8  
The pelletized lime is what everyone I know uses. Why wouldn't you want to use it? If I understand correctly you are wanting to buy your own lime and then rent a buggy to spread it? If that's the case I can see why you're having a hard time finding one.

/ Spreading Ag Lime #9  
Hi Richard, around here the pelletized lime is around $80 a ton. Pulverized lime is around $20 give or take.

I am surprised at how some areas have trouble with equipment. It is easy to find lime spreaders around here and there are a couple companies that spread lime also. Just about any big fertilizer/lime dealer here has one he can rent or loan out.

/ Spreading Ag Lime #10  
Attached is a picture of what I bought with the same thought in mind. Not so much that it is hard to get someone to come out, but I want to spread some lime, sand and compost on my yard that I put sprinklers in last year. I don't think the regular lime trucks are going to be able to dodge my sprinkler heads. This machine is a Turfco Mete-R-Matic II. Golf courses use them to spread top dressing treatments on the fairways and greens. I got mine on eBay for $500. Knew going in that I had to replace the feeder belt (another $500). I am going to strip off the rust and spray a few coats of JD green on it and replace all the nuts and bolts. Between it all I'll have an 8000 dollar machine for about 1200 (and a few weekends). I plan on letting a few landscapers know I have it, if they need material spread in a tight and tricky spot.

I asked for some hints on refinishing it in this thread The link to the auction with more pictures is there. Here's a link to the manufacturer's page on the Mete-R-Matic.

Attachments

• 852956-a8_1.JPG.jpg
    852956-a8_1.JPG.jpg
    27.1 KB · Views: 667