Spring Specific Seed For Food Plots

/ Spring Specific Seed For Food Plots
Re: HELP: Spring Specific Seed For Food Plots

We are having a very warm winter in North-Central Florida.

(( But then.....February is the cruelest month.....))

I want to seed for Spring in mid-to-late February assuming it continues warm.

Well, late February was not realistic. Winter finally checked in the last week in February. We have had 3-4 nights with hard freezes. It is 29 degrees outside, at dawn.

The nice people at Hancock Seed recommend planting after night-time temperatures reach 65 degrees.

I have the plots prepared. I have seed. I am ready when the weather warms, which can happen suddenly and sustainably in Florida.

I was in the Ace Hardware today and with no plan in mind asked about Spring plot seed. The fresh seed has not arrived but Ace had two 55 gallon Brute garbage cans full of last year's Pennington/Rackmaster Deluxe Spring/Summer Deer Mixture. I bought one Brute for $80. Got it home and transferred it into three 70 quart plastic baskets so I could return the Brute. I have 180 quarts of seed.....maybe 200 pounds? Last years price was $40/50 pounds so equivalent of 50% price reduction, less lower germination rate.

Soybeans, iron clay cowpeas, buckwheat, sunflowers and sorghum​

This is a little different mix from Hancock's, seeds are larger on average and I like the idea of sunflowers. Recommended planting depth: 1/2" - 1", so the Pennington seed I will pass over with King Kutter Rotary Harrow to cover, then roll it in with the Cultipacker.

I will keep the Hancock and Pennington plots separate. Sunflowers will be a good mark.

I am ready to plant. Why has our first chilly weather arrived late?

Last edited:
   / Spring Specific Seed For Food Plots #13  
I've planted that same Pennington mix for about 8 years and always had good results. I've had left over seed a few times and used it the next year with good results.

Here is a photo of the Rackmaster Deluxe Spring/Summer Deer Mixture in Post #12:

Attachments

• IMG_0587.JPG
    IMG_0587.JPG
    91 KB · Views: 350
Earlier this week I used Howse box frame 16/18 disc harrow to prepare some new areas for seed. With 16 notched discs instead of "normal" 20 discs, and weight of 600+ pounds, there is about 39 pounds of implement weight bearing on each notched disc and it cuts 4" deep in most areas. Harrow is adjusted with front gang one increment forward from "flat" and rear gang one increment back from "flat". I need to scoogie the rear gangs a mite closer to center next time I have the Howse on the 3-Point.

Yesterday I seeded with the Rackmaster Deluxe Spring & Summer Mix, above; probably an acre altogether as I used 50 pounds of seed mix.

Today I rolled the seed in with ETA Cultipacker. The soil is already moist. Rain is in the forecast for the weekend. Still a little cool but I expect germination in 7-10 days.

I am seeding now because this area of Florida is subject to 3-4 week periods in the Spring without rain. So I am taking advantage of the already moist soil and rain in the forecast.

I have 120 quarts of Rackmaster seed remaining.

Last edited:
February 11, 2013

Placed an order with Hancock Seed Company, Dade City, Florida today.

Ordered 50 pounds HANCOCK'S SPRING & SUMMER FOOD PLOT SEED MIX

Note Hancock Spring & Summer Mix varies a lot in seed size.

My theory is that the Cultipacker press-pattern will cover seed to variable depths so most will germinate.

Hancock seed is visible in Photo #3, planted and rolled in March 5, 2013

Stay tuned.

Attachments

• IMG_0588.JPG
    IMG_0588.JPG
    107.4 KB · Views: 342
  • IMG_0526.jpg
    IMG_0526.jpg
    193.4 KB · Views: 326
  • IMG_0558.JPG
    IMG_0558.JPG
    208.3 KB · Views: 282
Last edited:
Pennington/Rackmaster Deluxe Spring/Summer Mix planted 3/22/2013 began to germinate last night, after a day of medium rain.
Thirteen days from planting to germination.

Attachments

• IMG_0587.JPG
    IMG_0587.JPG
    91 KB · Views: 145
Here is the Hancock Spring & Summer mix April 8, 2013; 34 days after planting.

Can anyone tell me which seed has germinated? Looks like a cowpea to me.

Attachments

• IMG_0611.jpg
    IMG_0611.jpg
    290.3 KB · Views: 374
  • IMG_0588.JPG
    IMG_0588.JPG
    107.4 KB · Views: 149