Square Baler for Hay?

/ Square Baler for Hay? #21  
Re: Square Bailer for Hay?

5030:
Fascinating thread - one of the few I've printed out for permanent reference. All seem to recommend the NH or JDs. Spent some time looking at New Idea square bailer - seems (understand I'm not very knowledgable on this so I'm sure I'm missing a lot) solid. Know anything about them? Again, fascinating information. Thanks for posting it.
JEH

/ Square Baler for Hay? #22  

Part of our custom operation was buying/selling hay as a kid. We handled bales made by all models of square balers. Maybe part of it was operator error, but the best bales we ever saw were out of JD balers.

We also picked up a lot of jobs where some guys "Brand X" square baler just wouldn't make good bales. They were always impressed with our work. Our manager knew how to make good hay bales and the JD's were pretty error free. Sometimes we'd loose a knot when the twine or wire changed, but that was about the only miss. Pretty good for doing it 6, 8, 10 hrs per day.

Best wishes,
Ron

/ Square Baler for Hay? #23  

I have to put my $.02 in as well, and agree with Cowboydoc and 5030. I have 4 horses and 10 acres of pasture that I have to bush hog, which I've elected to do rather than bale. My first year, I had a 5 acre plot cut, teddered and baled for me @ $2.50/bale ON THE GROUND! My wife & I loaded, stacked (on trailer) unloaded and restacked (in the barn), and took advil for the next few days. The next year I bought for$3, and to me it was well worth it. I've bought each year since, even though I have to cut (& still maintain) the pasture, and now I have 500 bales in the barn, delivered and stacked!
It sounds romantic to bale your own, until the 50th or so bale! /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Jack

/ Square Baler for Hay?

Thanks again for everyone's comments. As some of you may have assertained by now, I'm just a city slicker with a country background. What I want is a release from city life, and I'm prepared to work for it. My "real" job is CFO for a VERY small company (I also answer the phone). So I fully understand that it is less expensive, easier, and more pratical to just buy the hay. As a matter of fact, I could NOT justify the cost of the tractor either. It would have been less expensive to hire out mowing. It would also have been very "city" to do so. After driving a desk for the last 12 years, I'm ready to flex a few muscles and try to extend my life and it's quality. Hopefully with that will also come quantity (I'll live longer).

I mean, let's get real. I'm planning on raising horses for gosh sakes! No one should be paying any attention to me at all! It's obvious that I've completely lost my mind and I'll be totally broke inside of five years. /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif But I'll be one VERY happy farmer.

For me, I've worked my fanny off to earn enough cash to play gentleman farmer for my golden years. My goal is NOT to sell the hay I produce, cut, and bale. But to use it for my own livestock. If I make money, that's great. If I break even, that's great as well. If I only lose a little bit, well that's fine as well. I'm looking for the nirvana of watching something I plant, farm, and harvest, grow into something I can use. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ Square Baler for Hay?

Rick,

Thanks for the real world view. I was counting on someone speaking up who had done this before. It's interesting that you picked up some side work as a result of being able to handle the small tracts. This was something I was tossing around in my head. Of course I then concluded that sounded too much like work. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ Square Baler for Hay? #26  

My Father used to rotate his fields. About three years growing grain, three years hay and three years pasture. There was only one cutting in our climate zone. The only moisture tester was experience.

More than one barn burnt down when damp hay started to heat up and caught fire.

Those little square bales were a labor intensive nightmare. We use a farm hand to build stacks and a stack mover to get them to the feed lot. If I was farming I think I'd still do it that way depending on location and amount of rain.
Egon

Last edited:
   / Square Baler for Hay? #27  

If you can pull the trick off of cutting the hay when its cold you get bales that stay geen for a nice time!

/ Square Baler for Hay? #28  

Keith...some of us are City Slickers too, (I'm a CEO as well, with all the stresses, etc.) and have a 1 hr commute each way, etc. but the "country life" is WELL WORTH IT! And welcome to the life! And the horse business IS a lot of work, but worth it too...many new great friends, and many times I don't start the car on the weekends...love my tractor (this is my 4th!) and "playing" cowboy...(2nd childhood!)
And enjoy your haying...I understand perfectly how you feel...I guess I'm just too old (or soft!)

Jack

/ Square Baler for Hay? #29  

The other thing is to bale it when it's still got some moisture and to STOP when the stuff gets too dry. If you bale it dry, all the leaves fall off and onto the ground, leaving you with stems!

My old boss "Knew" when it was the right time, no meters or anything. He could tell by twisting the hay in his hands. Too wet and it molds; too dry and you lose the leaves...... The old farmers can probably show you.......

Good luck.
Ron

/ Square Baler for Hay? #30  

Richard:

Do you think I should tell the folks about Greensaver? I see a post about cutting hay when it's "cold". I certainly don't understand that.

I know you round like me but we do some squares, about 2000 per year. Mostly 2nd and 3rd cut, for those "horse" people.

My horses prefer rounds and so does my back.