Square Baler for Hay?

/ Square Baler for Hay? #51  
Re: Square Bailer for Hay?

Sorry for the confusion, yes, it is their own manure. The only exception is liquid chicken manure that is sometimes bought and applied.

This is a real sore spot in our area due to smell and the pieces of unlucky, decomposing chickens in the mix attracts wild animals to the fields.
Ken

/ Square Baler for Hay? #52  

Slowzuki:

I'd have to go to Cowboydoc for a conformation on this, but I believe chicken poop has the spores for histoplasmoses in it.

I know, it's a big word, but it a respiratory illness that manifests itself in people who are around chickens and their droppings

I happen to have it. I got it when I was a kid, I think, from my grandmothers chicken coop.

I also think that once you contract it, you have it for life.

Again, I'd have to ask Cowboydoc for clarification on the above.

One thing for sure, chicken poop and pig poop is HOT stuff.

/ Square Baler for Hay? #53  

histoplasmoses - http://www.cdc.gov/ncidod/dbmd/diseaseinfo/histoplasmosis_g.htm

Doesn't sound pleasant! I wonder if that is what old timers refer to as "farmers hack". Most of them blame it on mold spores and such, of course the closest to a doctor most have been is a vet.

The chicken manure is applied via large pumpers and is done early in the spring when the ground is still very wet. I don't know if this is to prevent the particles from migrating or just a smell issue.

Ken

/ Square Baler for Hay? #55  

It was the Allis Chalmers Roto Baler.

Yes but it was a VERY small bale. It was only about 60 lbs. You used to see them stacked in a pyramid all over fields.

/ Square Baler for Hay? #56  

Here in Maryland, you can't use round bales for horses -- they don't get a square meal! /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

/ Square Baler for Hay? #57  

JackD:

I bet that line is older than you are. /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

/ Square Baler for Hay? #58  

Daryl:

Probably, but I only heard it a year ago -- and that's recent at my age! /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

/ Square Baler for Hay? #59  

Jackd:

My wife says "you are older than dirt" and I say to her "dirt washes off, wrinkles don't!!"

/ Square Baler for Hay? #60  

Daryl:

Thanks...I'll use that one too!!! BTW, it was my "hay man" that told me about the square meal...guess it runs in your business! Also, FWIW, I am getting a LOT of good info from your posts, and this board as well..thanks.

Jack